How many people ask questions expecting to be lied to? If it's becoming ok to conveniently lie because everyone is doing it anyway, maybe that's why so many personal relationships seem to fall apart. Would be kinda nice to raise young men to aspire to honesty rather than some kind of relative morality that uses applied deceit and lies. Nope, count me out. What's the consequences when the boys find out that the word of their SM isn't something they can rely on? Sometimes the relativity is dependent on who's ox is currently getting gored.

Lead by example, so they say.

Stosh

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If these boy actually lied, then string 'em up! Otherwise, get off their case & leave them alone! From what we know, none of them answered the question about spitting off the lighthouse no when asked.

Yep guy thing!

Reminds me of an episode years ago at the San Diego Zoo during a spring break outing. I dropped kids off with another leader, then went my own way, as had been there too many times. That afternoon, when I returned to pick them up, I am greeted with two boys telling me "scouts ?/?" are in security, and you need to go there. Seems they thought it would be cool to spit out of the "skyway" cable car. Was anyone hurt? No. Was it wrong? Yes. Did we all learn something? Hopefully. But, just the looks on their faces when I sprang them was enough, along with the constant razzing by the others. We did have a short discussion aside from the others, and they made a public apology to the rest of the group; but that was all I felt necessary.

• 1 month later...

As a female, I would not feel the urge to spit, but I did accidentally do something just as bad when I was a teen at an amusement park. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go on the "Silly Silo," so I walked up to the viewing area to watch. (You stood against the round inside walls of a "silo" and when it got going fast enough for you to be "plastered against the wall" due to g-force, then the floor dropped out.) It looked so funny that I cracked up laughing, and my gum fell out of my mouth down into the spinning silo! Needless to say that decided me right there that I was not going on that ride. I guess I should have stuck around and confessed that it was me who dropped my gum, but I didn't.

I wonder what kind of "punishment" I would have gotten from jgeller's troop?(This message has been edited by funscout)

Regarding "The Deed", I would bet that the lighthouse was at the ocean (the only mountain-top lighthouse I know of is at the top of Mt. Greylock in western Massachusetts). The wind is almost always blowing - usually pretty strongly, especially at the top of a lighthouse. Chances are, spit will get mixed up with ocean spray, water that drips off birds and their prey (fish), etc. Seems to me like this whole incident kinda got blown out of proportion.

Next time, give specific instructions that they boys are to spit into the wind.