Should a boy hold two PORs?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You’re right - he should be doing it! 😀

Other than holding elections for SPL and the individual PLs, the other Troop PORs are supposed to be APPOINTED by the SPL. They are not elected positions. 

I guess it depends on the job. My son was Quartermaster and Bugler at same time. I will say one thing...the Troop bugle always made it to the campouts.

Leaving aside any advancement-related issues, I think having a boy be both Patrol Leader and troop Scribe is asking for trouble.  Some kids could make it work, but I think chances are (meaning more than 50%) that one or both roles would suffer.  That doesn't necessarily mean that all combinations of jobs would present the same problem.  ASPL and troop Librarian are probably ok.  Scribe and Historian are probably ok, especially since they are somewhat related.  But I think combining SPL or PL with any other position is not a good idea.  (This is all assuming at least a medium-sized troop.  If you only have one or two patrols it's obviously a different situation, and some doubling-up may be necessary anyway.)

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but the comments have helped me decide that I should not sew two Troop Position patches on my child's shirt. However, your comments also amuse me in that you all must be from large troops. Sorry, but in smaller troops if you want an "extra" position filled after the absolute bare basics are covered, the boys have to have a second troop position if they are willing to take it.

5 hours ago, Paperwork said:

the comments have helped me decide that I should not sew two Troop Position patches on my child's shirt. 

You’re right - he should be doing it! 😀

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Paperwork said:

I know this is an old topic, but the comments have helped me decide that I should not sew two Troop Position patches on my child's shirt. However, your comments also amuse me in that you all must be from large troops. Sorry, but in smaller troops if you want an "extra" position filled after the absolute bare basics are covered, the boys have to have a second troop position if they are willing to take it.

I’m from a small Troop as well, some positions we have no need to fill such as webmaster. But we a few years ago when we were really small we did have some scouts with two positions. Nothing wrong really with having two positions. I find it would look awkward with two positions sewed onto the shirt.