Do Scouts learn anywhere else then at Scouts?

I'm reading through these posts and I'm seeing a lot about how National doesn't do this or that. I'm also seeing posts about how the rank advancement has missing holes.

IF a scout is well rounded he is doing more than scouts. Scouts are learning about being physical fit in sports (either with schools or outside of school). Scouts are being mentally awake by trying their best at schools. Scouts are doing their duty to God by going to church. Scouts are doing community service at school. They are learning communication skills in clubs like Debate and Speech and in their Speech Classes.

Scouting is not the only area of a boy's life charged with teaching and guiding them. They need to work with their families, in their school, and challenge themselves to take on new challenges and obstacles.

Good point.

I believe that in general we "society" are much more involved in our children's development than in past generations. We now find purpose for what would have been simple pleasures before. Sports is done to build fitness and understand team cooperation. Karate for fitness and self discipline. Chess club for math skills. 4-H for economics and animal responsibility. For communication speech is a required course and our school has a forensic club where students complete every 6 weeks or so in speeches. Adult association; there seems to be a lot of adult involvement in our kids lives. Patrol method, your boy likely has a posse at school and it has a leader. There is a substitute for most of what scouting has to offer.

Kudo's persistent argument that scouting now over emphasizes Leadership could be explained as a whittling down of how scouting has come to distinguish itself.

Scouting provides two things above the others, leadership positions and outings. Leadership is not available to middle school kids. Where would they get it? Student council? What authority do they have the effects other people. Team captain? Maybe. But in scouting they have the responsibility for training others and managing the discussion of peers.

And the outings. I have adopted "Its the outing stupid" as a mantra. Have a good annual program that escalates the outing into ever more adventurous outings and the boys will stay. No outings or too often canceled outings and they will flee.