Some Common Traits of Successful Troops

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gosh, I might as well be sitting between my wife and daughter during the Love Story movie.

OK Beavah, I like your comment about adults meeting once in a while for donuts to talk scouting, or something like that. I hadn't thought of that, but we looked for opportunities to meet at a local pub to talk scouting. We didn't do donuts because they are fattening.

Barry

Beavah,

I like your second list better than your first. There, are you happy? :-)

dscouter, BW's list is of "traits", not a scoring matrix or measurements. Big difference. Traits are characteristics, not scores.

One SM I know who runs a very successful Troop has AIA dinners once a month (All Interested Adults). Good time to get together and just talk Scouting and the Troop.

Brent -

I understand what you're saying, but the point that I was trying to make was that its questionable how BW made up his list, and whether it actually is traits found in "successful" unit, or a scorecard of how well a unit follows the BSA program. I don't think that one necessarily implies the other. So, is BW's list really a list of characteristics of successful units? For instance, if you show me 100 "successful units", will the majority of them meet the majority of BW's very specific criteria? I think BW's list goes the other way around, like saying, "If you want to have a successful unit, you must have these thing..." I realize I'm probably splitting hairs here, and I apologize, but I just wanted to clarify my point.

Of course, I've been wrong before...