Update to Retaining the New Scout & Over-Protective Mom

Here's the result:

The scout is out. But it gets better. While I remain friends with the parents, and my son is best buddies with their son Johnny.

The over-protection goes to this extent: Johnny is NOT ALLOWED to get ice cream from the ice cream truck in the neighborhood!!!!! Parents are afraid tht the ice cream will kidnap area children.

This kid is doomed, let's stick him in a bubble.

Man you have to be careful the world is full of cows who don't live in California and are unhappy cows.

They lurk behind ice cream vans waiting to pounce on lactose intolerant kids.

Ea

Gonzo1 I have to admit that is pretty far over the edge. My wife's motherly instincts went into high gear for our kids too. We stopped short of the GPS implants though.

I'm afraid I didn't go along with much of the nonsense. Life with me must have been a living hell for her during those years. Hey, what am I saying? It's probably still a living hell for her. Muh-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

But fortunately, even perhaps for the one you describe, the kids often (during those rebellion times) pick up on all this and they pretty much take care of things themselves. He may be out of the troop but perhaps the bubble will not be a permanent fixture.

I hope he turns out OK. Dad is a good guy, mom is wacko.

Here's another one of Johnny's comments though: I don't like going to Gatlinburg, we don't have our maid there.

I'm thinkin' he needs to pick up his own laundry and learn to cook and use the mower. Fire Consuela and the lawn service.

Heh, heh, this kid has some rude awakenings ahead. I'd love to be there to watch.

One of my personal favorites was when I was washing dishes one evening. My son had just entered middle school and evidently had picked up some 'street sense'. He chastised me for doing the dishes because it was 'woman work'. My wife heard him. I just smiled quietly and allowed it all to happen. Exquisite!, Way better than flying monkeys! ;)

So as it happens that Johnny and my son are friends, and my little daughter just thinks Johnny is adorable, Johnny came along to Chuck E Cheese today. Chuck's is very close to REI, my son said "cool, afterwards lets to to REI", so we did. Johnny had never seen so much outdoor gear before, he wanted to pick up stuff, climb on the fake wall, etc. I told him he'll have to check with his mom and dad, but he could come back if he wanted to - sometime.

He looked at some maps and thought how cool it would be to go here or there. Then I said, Mason, remember, you're going backpacking withthe troop in September.

Who knows. I'd like to see him return to scouts, but I'm afraid the ice cream man might get him first.

Pack,

We're headed to Warwoman Dell in September, second weekend I think as first weekend is Labor Day weekend. The boys want to do more backpacking. The boy who was SPL in may was actually the ASPL, but has since beomce SPL. He want to do more also and wants to go to the Conasauga River Trail, but I said we'll need a litle more training for that one. He agreed, but wondered if the Venture patrol could go, of course I said yes.

I'll check with the SM, it should be a problem if you like to join us again.

I'll double check the dates and get back to you.

About the boy, his mom won't let him go backpacking because he might have to pop in the woods, sans poop tube and he would have to filter water. Maybe someday though with enough gentle pressure.

G1, from this and previous thread on this Mom, it sounds like it is good she wasn't born 200 years ago. Imagine the indignity of doing ones business without the luxury of a bidet! I am surprised the human race is not extinct (yet, it is coming) due to impacted backsides and the toxicicity that comes with it!

And now, for the final update!

It seems Johnny had a couple of vaccines in the last couple of weeks and one night, Johnny suffered a seizure. He had never had one before and may have had a reaction to a vaccine. He had CPR performed, ambulance, hospital, the whole thing.

Consequently, and rightly so, it seems mom and dad won't let him out of their sight.

Thanks for all of your comments.

Gonzo

The parent said he wasn't breathing,someone did CPR. They called 911, went by ambulance to hospital. It's serious to stop breathing, but the kid was discharged by 6:00 am from the ER. Pediatrician will order MRI, "run some tests" and make some decisions.

My opinion is that if it were womething really serious, the MRI and test would be done by now, not scheduled for a later time.

And, yes, people can have a similar reaction for some vaccines, usually DPT, but it's VERY RARE!

This:

CPR was given in the ambulance to save his life becuase he stopped breathing.

And This:

He was released at 6:00 AM the next morning. Tests are scheduled for later this week.

Don't match.

Maybe for posting purposes you decided to water down the story to keep the typing to a minimum. However, if this is the story pretty much as the mom told you then, she is nuts. The boy would not have been released from the hospital unless the doctors were confident that they knew the cause. Heck he could have had another siezure on the way home.