Thank God I'm not teaching but just being around campus I hear it all the time..."It's not fair I'm going to protest my grade". It's especially annoying when it's from a student who was in a class I was taking and they weren't there 1/4 to 1/3 of the time. Or "I'll have my mom call and see if they can get my grade bumped so I can keep my scholarship." Have they just not heard of studying?

I am so tired of the "It's not fair! " statements that I hear all the time from one Helicopter parent in my son's troop! It seems like every time her boy isn't getting to do what he wanted to do we get the acid emails with the infamous "It's not fair!" line in them...

• 2 weeks later...

At last, something that supports my own observations over the past few years. It is getting really difficult to get "boy leaders" to actually take personal control. They appear simply afraid to even try, as they might not do it right. The good part is, that once they finally do it, and find they can, they want to continue to make the effort much of the time.

I substitute teach, and see the results of the micromanagement of parrents constantly. It does not help that the schools are so afraid of being sued that they will not stand up to students or parents. It is easier to simply allow much of the self destructive behavior to occur, or to sit the student in isolation to do nothing, or busy work without any direct supervision. And the idea of the "bell curve" of grade distribution is gone, except in theory. Most parents act as if a "C" is failure. Many of the grammar schools now do not allow tag, dodge ball, have no merry-go-rounds, teeter-totters, or classic slides and jungle gyms. Swinging is closely supervised, and don't dare bail out if you are a kid. You will be banned forever.

Eagle boards are still overall encouraging, as the large majority actually have overcome most of these things on their own; one reason for so many 18 year old Eagles. But some troops are becoming reflections of teh schools, and appear to be unwilling to make "leadership" or true scout spirit paramount in advancement at the upper levels. I have been told by a couple of scouters that my reaquirement that a boy going for Star and above needs to be getting a "C" average in school, and have no "F's" (unless he can prove to me he is really making the effort, and simply does not get it)is not acceptable. To me, that seems part of my responsibility as a leader. I also try very hard to not pressure a boy who is not advancing steadily; rather simply remind him that he may be lagging behind some of his peers. In the end, Eagle is achieved if the "scout" truly wants to. I have seen more than one not do it, just because of pressure from parents. Also, I have seen a number of younger Eagles who immediately drop out, and have absolutely no appreciation as to the significance of the rank. It is simply another thing to add to the resume.

Great article. Thanks.

I had a CM from another district proudly tell me his Pack had done away with the Pinewood Derby, since it created so many bad feelings for the boys who didn't win. I actually laughed outloud at his comment, thinking he was kidding. Unfortunately, he wasn't.

On the other hand, one of the staffers at Summer Camp told me his Troop requires Scouts to attend Green Bar training in order to make Eagle. I told him I thought that was a great idea, but asked how did they get around the "no adding to the requirements" rule. He said they took a round-about path - in order for a Scout to be eligible to run for or be appointed to one of the required leadership positions, they had to attend Green Bar. They have had very good results with this plan.

I think part of the problem is 11 year olds having cell phones. Mommies apparently believe thier kids need thier own public utility in order to know where they are.

When I was 11, I would be on my bike 4 or 5 miles from home. As long as I was home by sundown, I was OK unless I called.

• 4 months later...

It is so sad to see in the media about a child that has shot a fellow student or gone on a rampage. They think what is wrong the that child. I believe that kids can`t be kids anymore. That the days of "Mayberry" are gone forever. When the worst thing you did in school was get caught chewing gum.

I was just reading out of my 1932 scout hand book the other night to my wife about the ranks and requirements. She couldn`t believe what a boy scout had to do back then to advance. I remember when a boy took at least three years to make first class. And at that rank you really new your skills. Now a boy can make first class in one year.

Too me I see the program getting easier and easier. The standards are to make numbers instead of knowledge. The scout leaders are getting there hands tied just like the teachers at school as well. You can`t touch a child, you can`t talk to a child a certain way. You don`t dare let a child get hurt without the fear of getting sued.

Years ago you never saw a parent at a scout meeting unless they were to drop Johnny off or to pick him up. Know they watch your every move. That is if they aren`t at Karate class or ten other programs they have to be at. Then you tell yourself............. which program do you think they will get the most out of once they have finished?

I am going to cut this short as I can get very upset in this area. I believe in the old scouting program. I will keep on using it as long as I can get by with it. Change is fine but just how far and how much is the question. Nothing comes easy in live. I even see it at work as the new work force has the same attitude.

"Years ago you never saw a parent at a scout meeting unless they were to drop Johnny off or to pick him up. Know they watch your every move. That is if they aren`t at Karate class or ten other programs they have to be at."

That was true of most kids' activities way back when. Two or three dads did Little Leage. A couple dads did basketball. Very few parents even bothered to show up at games unless they were the "BIG GAME."

When I was a youngster, it was my responsibility to make sure that I was where I was supposed to be. I might ask my dad to drive me but I had to ask him. If not, I walked or asked the coach to pick me up.

Arg! I have a feeling that these will never be the good old days.

Recently I took over a troop that was basically falling apart. I observed for a couple of months to see if I could find what the problem might have been. What I found out was that regardless of their rank, these boys could not function at the level of their rank. They had "fulfilled" the requirements by doing it once and then they got the rank. They never learned the skill. Life scouts that couldn't tie basic hitch knots. Sitting in a room couldn't tell you what direction 270 degrees was and couldn't cook anything other than hobo dinners.

Of course they ran their own program, but accomplished nothing. Needless to say, in order for these boys to be able to teach these skills to the new boys coming in, they are now going back and relearning all these "requirements" of knowledge and skill so they can teach it to others. If this flies in the face of no more or no less than the requirement, then I'm at fault, but I do have to admit that things are now starting to get done by the boys as they should.

If one expects great things from these boys, they get it. If they don't they get that too.

Stosh

GW, I must agree with you about todays parents at Scout meetings. In my day, parents were only seen at dropoff and pickup as you mentioned, and at COH's. I don't necessarily think all the parents are there to watch the SM, but heres my take. Our troop serves about six towns, so travelling 45 minutes to drop Junior off for 90 minutes and have to repeat is wasting time and gas. Plus the other parents that stay are the ones whose boys have some sort of disability. They do however, stay on the sidelines at Scout functions.