How do you retain the new scout? ... but mom is over-protective

This has been a problem for me, not having an overprotective mom, but having scouts and friends with them. I am i troop guide to it helps to know the parents of the scouts. Have the mom come to meetings so she can get to see how the boys act and the atmosphere of a troop. It sounds like the dad tries to be as involved as possible but just can't work his schedule around it. Have the mom maybe come to a planning meeting or something so she can put a word in on where she might feel more comfortable having her kid camping without her, may it be her backyard, then maybe have an overnight outside patrol meeting.

She also needs to understand that scouts isn't a checklist. It's not like cubs where you set through a lesson and then it gets signed off because they listened. The boys must discuss or demonstrate what they learned most of the time. So if she wants her boy to progress through the ranks of scouting she is going to have to let him live a little.

You may even have to sit down with her and a few other adult leaders and talk to her about it.

--Yours in Scounting

J-dawg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J Dawg,

Welcome,

I'm afraid the mom won out. My son and he are buddies, hang out during the summer, etc. Mom just doesn't want her son in scouts. She's actually afraid he'll get biten by a snake or attacked by a mountain lion, no fooling. The thought of filtering drinking water from a stream and going poop in the woods was too much for her.