Scout Leaders reaching out to youth

We as scout leaders take on a wide range of leadership roles, but one role we don't take on is the role of person reaching out into our community. I know we all spend a lot of time with the youth that we are mentoring in our units, but what about trying to reach those youth that are not involved in our units. In our district we only reach about 1/17 of the youth. What happens to the rest of those youth. Well some of them end up alright but then someof those youth end up drug addicts, gang members, or even just in trouble.

We always say that as scout leaders we are here to help the youth that we lead, but why don't we use our units as a way to reach out to these youth that are getting caught up in these incidents. We need to truly make a difference. Do you want to be remembered as a great scout leader or would you rather be remembered as a great scout leader that helped bring kids off the streets and into a worthy cause.

I know for myself I want to be know as a scout leader that affected the lives of the youth that I work with, but I want to also affect the youth that are not involved.

I admire your lofty goals and undaunted ambition, however, after 20 years as scout leader and another 16 years as a church youth group leader, I have come to the conclusion that not everyone wants to be saved. I have learned also not to spread myself to thin (yeah, right), but there's only so much one can do and if saving everyone was possible, there would far less problems for today's youth than they have. It's not that there are those out there that haven't tried, good quality people, skilled and talented people, but it just doesn't happen.

May I suggest: focus on that which you can do. Put out a good quality, worthwhile program and you will attract marginal youth to your efforts. Don't be disappointed in the response. If only a few show up, do your best for them and quit worrying about the others, they have made their life's choices. Work with those that chose you.

Stosh

DugNevius

Thank you for your interest. One of the big ways is to get your boys out into the eye of the public so that people can see scouts in action. We do not need to keep to ourselves. We try to teach our boys many different ways tobe active in service and to me what better service can you do than reach out to those that need to be reached out too. We need to find ways to get these boys active in scouting or other organizations just like scout, so that we get them off the streets and give them better influences.

jblake47

I am disapppointed to hear a fellow scout leader talk like you were talking in your reply. The reason I say that is because in scouting, especially boy scouts we have the scout oath and law, and we as adults should also be living by the scout oath and law. Remember what they say:

Scout Oath Scout Law

On my honor I will do my BEST A Scout is: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful,

to do my Duty to GOD and my Country Friendly, Courteous, Kind,

TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE AT ALL TIMES Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty,

To keep myself physically strong, Brave, Clean, and Reverent

mentially awake, and morally straight.

I hope that this reminds you that part of Scout is to help other people at all times. Please keep this in mind and think about what I have said in my original post.

Yours in Scouting,

eagle97_78

eagle97_78,

I agree with jblake47.

And just in case you were wondering, no, I don't need reminding of the Oath and Law.

Our Troop recruiting programs are very successful, thank you.

Our Council is constantly reviewing its area looking for opportunities to start new units.

You need to get in touch with your Council with all of your recruiting ideas. Maybe they'll let you run with it.

sst3rd

eagle97,

Maybe you could provide some more information about the area you serve in. I agree that troops should try to be more visible in the community, but I don't really know what you have in mind. In my area, its common for troops to be in local parades, have booths are town carnivals, volunteer at special events, and, of course, work in the community as part of Eagle scout and other service projects. I'm guessing you think that the outreach should be directed to a different area?

Maybe I'm reading into your post too much, but it seems like you're trying to make the scouting program into something that it is not. To me, scouting is a program that develops good citizenship, leadership, morals, values and outdoor skills in young men. Its not necessarily intended to be an "intervention" or "diversion" type program, though I guess it could play a part in this type of service. I'm in no way trying to diminish the value and importance of scouting, but I just don't see scouting as being an effective program for addressing the concerns you mention.

Your statement "What happens to the rest of those youth. Well some of them end up alright but then someof those youth end up drug addicts, gang members, or even just in trouble." seems to be somewhat pessimistic. While I think that scouting, for many people, can be a very positive influence, I again feel that its not an effective way to directly address drug use, gang membership, etc. Even the best scouting program will not prevent this from happening - it even occurs within scout groups! As a corollary, there will always be people who are able to lead good lives without scouting.

Also, don't ignore the positive contributions you make to scouts who voluntarily joined your troop. As their leader, you can make a difference in their lives. You might not even realize the positive impact you have.

I used to want to save the world. When I was a newly minted adult I left my boyhood troop for what was at that time called an "inner city" troop. I did it because I wanted to do my duty and to help other people--especially those who needed it most. I was just a kid from the suburbs and really didn't have a clue what real life was like.

Once I got to know the boys in the troop and got to understand the sort of neighborhood they lived in, the schools they went to, and what they and their parents had to contend with, I wanted to save the world even more. I did my best but some of the kids I worked with still got into trouble and spent time in juvie. Some of the kids I worked with didn't last very long in Scouting and got into the same things their non-Scouting peers got into. Some of the kids I worked with grabbed Scouting with both arms and clung to it for dear life, and some of those still made the same mistakes their parents or other peers made.

I don't count any one of them as failures--not even as Scouting failures. I did what I could for them, but I learned pretty quickly Stosh is right. You can't save everyone. You can't even save every one of the kids God hands you to save. All you can do is your best and then pray a lot for the one's you can't reach.

Please don't think I have the wrong attitude, or that Stosh does, or anyone else who agrees with him. We very much want to help every boy who comes to us. We reach out as far as we can to welcome every boy we can. But our reach only goes so far. I can't make a boy join Scouting. I can't help a boy who doesn't want my help. I can't reach a boy who refuses to be reached. Twenty-six years ago I thought I could, and it was a painful lesson learning that I couldn't.

I stuck with that troop for six years, and spent another two years beating myself up for not being able to do more than I did. At the time I thought everything I did those six years was a failure. Well it wasn't. Fifty boys came under my influence during those six years. Twenty of them stayed with the troop at least three years. At the very least a seed was planted in those 50 that eventually changed their path through life. That might mean a couple thousand more boys didn't get reached, but there's nothing I can do about that. I hope and pray it means that the seed I planted grew in those 50 and that they influenced other lives.

If your goal is to reach every boy, you will not reach your goal. Your focus will be on all the one's you haven't reached. If your goal is to reach every boy you can, you'll fare much better. Your focus will be on the only one you can reach--the one standing before you.(This message has been edited by ajmako)

I realize from looking at your past posts that while you are active at the District level, you have not been active in a BSA unit for some time, perhaps that is the reason for your comments.

BSA units DO reach out to the community. They DO attempt to make their units more visible to the community. They do this thru recruitment drives, community service, Scouting For Food, marching in community parades in full uniform, being active in their schools, and many other ways.

I think most Unit Leaders out there already "do their BEST TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE AT ALL TIMES." Part of that is doing their very best for the youth in their units & running a great BSA program. A BSA program that will achieve BSA's purpose (to provide an educational program for boys and young adults to build character, to train in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and to develop personal fitness), and mission (to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law). A BSA program that will attract as many boys as possible to that program.

BSA itself is also concerned with reaching/helping as many youth as possible. That is why they have formed the Scoutreach Division. Many Unit Leaders already use many of the resources available to them thru Scoutreach.

For more information on Scoutreach -

http://www.scoutreachbsa.org/

Perhaps you, as a District Committee member, could work with your DE & other District Committee members to form a Scoutreach Committee in your District. Perhaps as an OA Advisor you could work with the Lodge Chief to implement the OA Scoutreach Mentoring Program. As Unit Leaders, we would be more than happy to encourage our unit's OA members to participate in a OA Mentoring program.

Yah, I'll join the chorus...

What happens to boys who aren't in Scouting?

We hope and pray and expect that God sends them other good people to plant seeds in their heart. Schoolteachers, coaches/sports, theater & music programs. Family, friends who are scouts or are just good friends. Big Brothers/Big Sisters, YMCA's, Boys & Girls clubs. Pastors, youth ministers, church programs. Red Cross, Salvation Army, community law enforcement outreach. Social services and social workers. Hobby clubs and youth clubs and skate parks.

It is a sin of pride to assume it is our job to save everyone. That's God's job, and He has many friends and servants outside of Scouting.

We should do the task we are given with commitment and joy. Reach the boys and families and co-workers that we can, for sure. Pray for the rest, and trust that the Great Scoutmaster will use others to help them on their way.

We are most richly blessed by the opportunity to play just one part in the lives of a few of His boys.

IMHO, reaching out to youth other than through scouting is an individual effort. My personal belief is that I can make a difference in my boys in my troop. I can also make a difference to youth in other ways.

Here's what I personally do to make a difference.

Beyond Scouting, I help recognize youth volunteers as part of an award program put on by our local US Congressman. Several of us community folks gather each year for two or three afternoons and interview High School aged kids/young adults with an eye to recognizing their volunteer efforts. It's nice to say that most of the young men interviewed are Eagle Scouts, or close to earning Eagle, and that most of the young ladies are Gold Awardees in Girl Scouts.

I also help staff our local Rotary District's RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards), a weekend leadership and team building camp for 16-17 yo young adults. It's a great weekend and well worth the investment of MY time. I just did this for the first time this year and am using some of the techniques with our boys in ethical decisions and diversity. Great stuff.

Yes this gets me into some hot water with the wife, so I pay through the nose to do this "other stuff", but it's well worth the price of admission for me.

As far as reaching out with Scouting, this is what I see working. Eagle projects in the public eye are great advertisements for the program of course. Representing our local Scouting in flag ceremonies, parades, honor guards, etc. we can reach out to un-tapped youth in our communities. We also guarner support of Scouting with this positive re-inforcement in those public activities we participate in, helping associate Scouting with those Timeless Values we love to talk about. Quite frankly this also help the dollars keep rolling into our local councils by positive PR.

There are always costs with any community service, it just depends on how well suited you are to "pay" for it.

In each and everyone of the more recent posts I have read that everyone would just rather worry about there boys and there own units. Well to me that is a selfish attitude. We as adult leaders need to take a more serious attitude when it comes down to reach out to youth. I always here people on here refer to Scouting and how Scouting Teaches Timeless Values. I grew up in the scouting program and I know all of this. I am an Eagle Scout. I look at how much our nation is changing everyday and what our youth are getting more and more into and it isn't good. The Youth of today need our help. Adults in this talk about how they are reaching out to the youth in there units, but the unit doesn't belong to the adults it belongs to the youth (but if you want to get real technical it belongs to the chartering organization, but that doesn't matter). What does matter is that we are there reaching out to the youth that we are working with. Our council just went through a New Unit Blitz training from the national. There was information to give to chartering churches about how scouting can be used as a ministry. so if you look at it that way scouting is a ministry and we are their to reach out to the youth that are not already in our units so that we can see our units grow even more.

eagle97_78,

I'm sorry to sound harsh, but your condescending tone, and general vagueness won't help to relate to many folks here offering advice, and certainly not with the audience you wish to "reach out" to.

In reading your posts, I haven't really seen you describe any defined ideas as to what you wish to actually do. You keep using the term "reach out," but never really explain what you mean. Perhaps presenting a more clear picture of your situation, and your ideas, will draw more support from the community here.

Many have replied to your posts, offering friendly advice based on their own experiences "reaching out." Many have cautioned you, trying to make sure you understand the nature of your target audience, the advantages and disadvantages of Scouting used in this way, and some of their own personal experience trying to do what you are talking about. You reply, calling their attitude "selfish," but never responding to any of the concrete advice they offer.

I echo others responses, in that Scouting cannot hope to reach everyone, and that Scouting's primary purpose is not for gang prevention/crime fighting/etc. I'd also add that you shouldn't write off the scouts in your own unit(s) - they may not be on the brink of a life a crime, but how might you "reach out" to them, as they grow up? They joined YOUR unit - why sell short your role of helping them cope.

Bottom line, I think you need to be more specific about what you're trying to do. If you can do that, then many of the "wise ones" on this form (those who are much more wiser than myself ;-) ) might be able to offer more constructive responses.

Reaching out to youth.

"be remembered as a great scout leader that helped bring kids off the streets and into a worthy cause."

Please hold on to your ideals.

Don't allow anyone to change your mind.

Some thoughts I have for what they are worth?

1/ You are not going to do this by yourself. You need help. Help from people who share your vision.

2/ Take a look at why these youth are not in Scouting? Look at the hurdles that get in the way. Many of these can be overcome with hard work and having the right people doing what needs to be done.Sadly some hurdles will remain and trying to remove them is just not going to work.

3/ Not every youth wants to be a member of the BSA. Even with the best intentions in the world this is true.

4/Some one has to provide the program. This is a job in it-self. Den Leaders, Cubmasters and Scout Leaders provide the program, this is what keeps the youth coming back week after week. They if they are doing their job well don't have time to be going out reaching out to more youth. They can provide a program that will make the members of the unit want to share with others, which in it's own way is reaching out.

5/Don't go for the "Quick Fix". Starting new units, with just a list of names and a signed New Unit Application just doesn't work. In fact it does more harm than good. Starting units with a good foundations with interested CO's, working committees and people who will attend training's works out better in the long run. You are planting seeds which it time will grow.

6/ While what you aim to do is good and worth while try and remember that the adults who lead units full of middle and upper-class youth are still doing what needs to be done. -Don't look down on them.

I have heard that Baden Powell was hoping that if enough boys joined Scouting and the world wide movement took off, we could avoid wars. He was very disappointed when world war two came along.

Some might say that he had failed.

Some say he thought he had failed.

I don't know about that.

I do know we can only do our best to do what we think is right.

I have in the past worked at starting new units in every sort of area.

Right now I', busy trying to establish Sea Scouting in our area.

My hope is that we will offer the young teenage girls in our area a activity they will want to join. At this time it seems that there is very little for them where we live. Of course we welcome anyone who wants to join!

I know I have posted this before.

The young lad throwing star fish back into the sea, as the tide goes out.

Some one says "You can't possibly save all them star fish."

His reply was I know, but I can save this one!

You might not be able to get every young person into a BSA program, but you can get one, then one more and so on.

Good Luck.

Eamonn.