Hello All, I am so new to Scouting - and SO confused on so many levels. I started reading here and thought this would be a great place to get some answers to some questions. I have a little guy who is a Bear - we did Wolves last year - but it went by in a flash. This year has proven to be a challenge.I am an unofficial parent helper from Massachusetts - trying to understand the ways of the Scout.(This message has been edited by NewCubbyMomma)

Welcome, also from your neighboring NH area..

Your first year is the most confusing, then it gets easier as there are certain things that go on at certain times of the year Blue & Gold, Pinewood, summer camp.. etc.. You will get the hang of it. Just as you do, you'll move into boy scouts and have to relearn the routine all over.. But, it will keep things from getting stale and boring.

As ScoutNut says, anything in particular that has you confused, or is it just the big picture??

And just to get it out of the way early: Have you visited myscouting.org and taken any of teh internet trainings? Or participated in any in-person trainings in your area?

My #1 son's Wolf year went by in a flash, too. When I finally figured out which way was up, I was Popcorn Chair.

Thank You all for the warm welcome - feels good in all the snow. I have taken several of the online courses and I have also been searching and hunting the web just looking at the different indormation that is out there for Scouts - and I am amazed at all the incredible things that are being done through scouting.

The first thing that I am incredibly in the dark about - is what is the chain of command ? I know that our Cubmaster is the one to go to - but after her ? Who is it ?

ASSUMING (and if you read some of the threads here this could be a big assumption) that you have a properly functioning pack and appropriately staffed committee, district and council:

Cubmaster --> Pack committee chair --> Chartered org rep --> Instiutional Head (This is the head of the organization that charters the pack) --> Unit Coordinator --> and from there it goes to the district and council levels

You are partially right that the Cubmaster is the one to go to!! I am a Cubmaster, so I know it is easy to put all the responsibility there. In the workings of a Pack, though, the Cubmaster is responsible for the program - all the things that have to do with how the leaders relate with the boys, and all the things that make Cub Scouts fun. In the operation of a pack, I would say my "boss" is the Pack Committee Chair and Pack Committee. They are responsible for all the administration and business side of things, as well as providing the support to make sure the program goes off without a hitch.

Of course, we are talking here about a perfect world. I dream of a situation where all I have to worry about is putting on a great and fun program for the boys, where there is a group of parents, a committee, that will take the reigns and make sure everything that is necessary to make that happen is taken off my shoulders. When I find a parent that will take on that task, building the necessary relationships with the parents, engaging them in the things that make the Pack go, then the boys in this Pack will at least have the opportunity to have something really special - and it takes a huge strain off of folks that feel like they have to do it all. There's a reason the Tiger year is built around involving the parents in "shared leadership." It is because that is the way Cub Scout Packs work best, in my opinion.

I just learned something new here too. I have been out of the Pack so long, and use to the troop way of doing things..

When you get to the troop the SM takes care of program also similar to cub master. But if you are a boy you have other boys in that chain of command before getting to the SM.. But if you are a parent, you first contact if you have an issue is the committee chair..

I guess that is because as a parent you are now not part of the program.. But, I am glad I wasn't the first to answer this because I would have gotten it wrong..

We all live & learn :)