Questioning Authority

On the parent thread was the statement "Im really troubled that various Scouters feel the need to dispute a simple statement by our national organization."

So let me ask this in a different context. If some Scouts came to you questioning the accuracy of some statement by some legitimate authority, would you encourage them or discourage them? Would it trouble you that they were questioning authority? As an adult leader, do you expect Scouts to believe what you tell them? Or do you suggest that they should challenge you if they think you are mistaken?

Oak Tree

As I got better at this scouting stuff, I became offended with the idea of adult authority. I think it gets in the way of pure scouting.

After every new election of youth officers, I told the PLC that if I could not support or give logical reason for anything we did in the troop, they could throw it out. I did that so that I didn't make scouts do anything just because I was the adult and had the authority. It is one thing to ask boys to do something because you know that it can better their future. It is something different to tell scouts to do it because that is what you want and you have the authority. My biggest test was the uniform.

I like to teach adults that rebellous scouts are just expressing in their own way that they don't understand because they haven't learned yet better ways to ask and learn. When this happens, you the adult need to either figure out a different way to explain the subject so that they do understand, or back off and rethink the whole thing. Again I use the uniform as an example. I find that the uniform is the hardest method for adults to apply without forcing their authority. It is a real test of how to use auhtority in a boy run troop.

Great Question.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

I'd expect that the Scouts would question authority if they believed this was the correct course of action. Indeed, I would consider it something to be expected of a Scout that is following the Scout Law. In the 7th point of the Scout Law - aka A Scout is Obedient - we tell Scouts that it is ok to question authority when we say "If he feels that these laws are wrong he attempts to change them rather than simply to disobey".

I'd expect the Scouts to follow that same line of reasoning when it comes to "facts" being disseminated. We should be encouraging the Scouts to question the facts, to do the research to prove or disprove, before blindly accepting them, or blindly dismissing them. I've walked behind scout units where an adult leader has mis-identified a plant as poison ivy (and this has happened more than once) - if a Scout knew better, I'd want him to speak up and "question authority". If a Scout Leader were to declare that the world is flat, I'd expect a Scout to question that assertion. Those questioning skills lead to critical thinking, the skill most needed as an adult - and sadly, skills seemingly not used very often by a populace who get their news in 15 second soundbites on 24-hour news channels and take what was said as gospel.

Calico

I know I make mistakes and I have always encouraged the Scouts in my unit to call me on them. And believe me, they do!

There is nothing wrong with challenging authority as long as it is done for a valid reason & in a civilized manner.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

There is rather a difference between questioning authority and defying authority. I would hope that we are always questioning- if we don't understand why things work the way they do then we will never understand how they work.

Defiance should never be done as a knee-jerk reaction, but only after careful consideration and all other avenues have been exhausetd.

Ed

"If some Scouts came to you questioning the accuracy of some statement by some legitimate authority, would you encourage them or discourage them?"

I think this begs the question who or what is the "legitimate authority"?

Many times in this forum things that are widely accepted as being right are found to have foundation or can't be backed up with any statement or BSA material.

In some units the program has been tweaked to such an extent that the authority has shifted from the BSA to the unit.

As a rule I encourage Scouts to question anything and everything.

At times they question things which maybe I have for a long time just accepted as just being right, which doesn't always mean are right!!

Dealing with teenagers who think they are right can be a challenge, they at times see being right as an excuse for being rude or disrespectful. Which of course it isn't. This situation can be made worse if the young person deems that an injustice has happened, it doesn't always have to be something that has happened to that young person.

Looking at what the wise words from Eagledad. I kinda think this was where I was trying to go in the thread about my quest for leadership.

There are times no matter how well founded the statement is or where it came from, the best thing we as leaders can do is allow the Scouts to find things out for themselves. (Providing of course safety isn't a factor)I can as an example tell Scouts that their backpack shouldn't weigh more than X amount and they should do everything to keep the weight down. Still some one will want to take the flashlight that runs on four D cell batteries and a boom box (I'm joking!!) The best way for him or her to find out how unwise this is . Is to let them try it.

Eamonn.

"Why, daddy?"

Now, who, as a parent, hasn't heard that plaint? (okay, maybe mom) And can we not expect that our response to it will color the childs expectations to every next inquiry?

Now, which 'follower' would most leaders want: the unquestioning sycophant or the well informed willing person that wants to do what is required and right?

By questioning, we make sure our 'leaders' really are considering what they are about. And this goes on up the 'Chain of Command' all the way to the top. (look under 'prayer').

I was called to a meeting at work. We were to be informed about a new, multi-million dollar radio communication system that was to be installed soon. The staff listened politely to the contractor's presentation. One of us asked a "what if" question (I remember thinking 'well, yeah, that could happen...'). The contractors looked at each other and said "well,gee, no one ever thought of that before". The bosses went ahead with the installation. The problem that was asked about was never addressed, and comes up on a regular basis. Should the question have never been asked? A lot of 'we told you so' comes up still. Most of the bosses involved in the installation have 'moved on', but the corporate "why Daddy?" was resented by the corporate daddies, and the result is a resentful staff and a radio system that is not what it could have been.

So this Qing of A goes both ways. The Questioners must be respectful, but insistant. The Questioned must be understanding and accepting and provide good answers. The success of both Qs will be increased thereby.

YiS