Roots and Wings.

Tragedy hit our small town again last night.

It was a rainy, dark horrible November night and it seems that the 17 year old Captain of our high School soccer team was driving too fast. The details are still a little unclear but sadly the Lad is dead.

I love living in our small town, I love the sense of community, but part of me feels that when things like this happen life would be so much easier if we lived in a big town where no one knew anyone.

My Mother-In- Law had been the Den Mother to the boys father. I had worked on several projects for Scouting with him.

The Lad had been a Scout in the same Troop as OJ, but had quit to devote more time to soccer and cross country running.

OJ is so very upset, the two of them have played together since they were little fellows. I have a photo of them both gazing into a mud puddle when they were supposed to be playing soccer.

We don't have a scanner, but when the call went to the Emergency Room, it was a teenage boy in a white Ford Explorer. Her Who Must Be Obeyed works in the ER, the people she works with know that OJ drives my Explorer, thankfully he was home last night. But the ER workers were really worried.

Our entire town is in shock.

I know it seems that I keep on posting about kids and driving.

But of all the activities that OJ and his pals do driving is the one that really scares me.

Living out in the sticks, the kids can't wait to drive and become independent. I want for him to be as independent as he can be.

I know that he thinks I keep on as every-time he leaves the house I tell him to drive carefully and not to speed.

My heart goes out to the family of this Lad. I'm not sure if something like this happened to OJ if I have it in me to carry on, but this Lad has a younger brother.

Anything we as Scouter's can do to try and help our kids drive more safely, we have to do. We lose so many teenagers on the roads.

I'm taking some of the Scouts sailing this weekend in Maryland. You can bet I'll be doing my best to set a good example by not speeding.

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

My prayers are with you, your son, the boy's family, and all those touched by such a terrible, terrible tragedy.

Hopefully OJ's school will have grief counselors on hand. Encourage him to make use of them.

I've got 4 more years before my oldest is 16, and him driving does scare me witless. When I was 16, being able to drive seemed like the most reasonable thing in the world. Now a 16 y.o. with a license is one of the most terrifying thing I can imagine.