Building Character ?

At times I think we fall victim to catchphrases or slogans.

When I was a little Lad "Just do it." didn't mean what it might mean today.

It seems to me that over the past few years the BSA has over used the "Character" thing.

"Building Character"?

What does it really mean?

Is building character different than Scout Spirit?

For a while it seemed that everywhere I looked I seen "Character Counts".

In my every day conversations I do occasionally describe someone as being a real character.

Normally this is used to describe someone who is doing something that makes me laugh or smile.

Every now and then I'll describe Rory as a real character.

I like to think that Scouting helps to build self-confidence, problem solving, compassion, acceptance of personal responsibility, and leadership skills within each Scout. This allows the individual boy well prepared for life in an adult world.

We "Get there" by using the methods of Scouting.

But I have to admit that all this talk of Character confuses me.

I understand Scout Spirit, to me Scout Spirit is about the qualities of a person that makes him or her self-sufficient, motivated, charitable, concerned for others, and willing to accept the responsibilities placed before him.

I think this is not the same as character.

Do we really mean all this stuff about character? Or is it like? "Be all you can be." or

"We bring good things to life"

Eamonn.

How about this:

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking." - JC Watts ( I believe ).

Yes, building character is different from Scout Spirit, though very closely related. Building character goes beyond Scouts - it encompasses all you do in your life, from your business dealings, to your faith, your relationships with others, heck, even your conduct while driving!

We push "character" in Scouts because its a life lesson - something one can take away when done with Scouts and apply throughout their lives. The Scout Law sets such a great standard and helps to build character in young people.

In addition, I've found that playing the "character" card, so to speak, has a direct effect on issues of safety and security. If you can trust your scouts to always do the right thing, then the level of safety and security increases.

Finally, I've found that by pushing the character issue on my scouts, its forced me to examine some of my own behavior to be sure I'm following the same philosophy ( note the 'driving' comment from above ). Also, its such a useful tool when dealing with discipline issues... what parent can object when explain that you are trying to build character with their scout?

I've been accused of being a very "black and white" person. And I'm not referring to race. I have a very clear sense of right and wrong. So much so that it torments me sometimes. Seems that for some others, those lines are very blurred and they seem much happier. As I approach my "golden years", I have less and less tolerance for those who don't "get it" and just muddle through life depending on others to rescue them from their bad choices. "To help other people at all times" is getting harder. When you have done all you can to solve your problems, then ask me for help.

I've heard it said that "character is what you do when no one's looking."

Character means making the right choices in life so that you are not a burden to your fellow man. Character means stepping up to the plate when no one else will. Character means being a "mensch".

In life we have very few things we can really call our own. We have family but people die. We have material possessions but along comes Katrina and over night everything is literally gone. When I look at everything there are only two things which I know are mine until I decide to give them up. My faith and my honor. I choose how I will maintain them BUT the things I use when making those everyday choices are what make up my character. The problem is that I didnt get to choose my character, it was molded by my parents, teachers, friends, family, the people Ive met and the things I have witnessed. I dont even get to judge my character that is also done by others. My character can be bolstered or destroyed without my lifting a finger. Character is what others think you are AND what you are inside. Lawyers make fortunes fighting over deformation of character suits because who you are can be less important than who people think you are, ask any politician or TV evangelist.

Having been instilled with scout spirit is one of the things which make up my character. Brent Allen and I usually are on opposite sides when discussing the current administration yet we both have given our oath to do our duty to our country. Does that mean one of us has more scout spirit than the other? Is scout spirit determined by which side you take in the three Gs discussions. Can you have scout spirit if you are for God, undecided about girls, but against gays? Do you lack scout spirit if you are admittedly gay and still register as a scout leader? Look at all the different members of this forum and ask yourself how you would vote as to whether each of us has scout spirit were this a BOR, then ask yourself how you would respond about each of us where you asked to give a character reference based only on what each of us has posted.

Having character and being a character are different just as having scout spirit and being of good character is not the same thing. As leaders we need to use scout spirit and instill scout spirit to help build the character of those we serve. You cant actually help other people at all times, sometime you have to let someone else help or just accept that you cant always help. Because you want to help shows scout spirit, when you stop and when you dont is based on character.

LongHaul

So far it seems that no one is questioning the definition of Scout Spirit? (Maybe just an oversight!!)

Until someone does.

If we go with:

Scout Spirit is about the qualities of a person that makes him or her self-sufficient, motivated, charitable, concerned for others, and willing to accept the responsibilities placed before him.

I'm confused why this doesn't work with:

" it encompasses all you do in your life, from your business dealings, to your faith, your relationships with others, heck, even your conduct while driving! "

I like to think I live the Scout Oath and Law 24/7.

My being and having been a Scout is as big a part of me as my education. my religion and me just being the person that I am. That includes when I'm driving. (I never said I was a Saint!!)

I'm sorry but I just don't agree with:

"The problem is that I didnt get to choose my character,"

While I agree that we at a very early age are in different ways offered values. We as free thinking humans at some stage decide for ourselves what is important to us.

I only have to look at my brother and two sisters to see how very different we are and how we value things differently.

I can't help but think if we are going to talk about building Character we need to add an adjective ?

Character can be good or bad.

Scout Spirit is measured by if you have done your best to live up to the Scout Oath and Law, the only person who will ever really know what your best is is you and of course once you think you have done your best the bar is raised a little higher.

I don't see the Scout Oath and Law as being a right wing or left wing statement, I fail to see where the rules or ruling of the BSA come into play, other of course than the "Duty to God". I happen to think that "morally straight." is open to a personal interpretation, which is a different topic to the rules of the organization. (Just as some activities are not allowed by the BSA, I don't see people who participate in them when not acting as a Scout or Scouter as being in the wrong.)

As for the "Help other people at all times" we once again have to fall back on the "Do my best" this is what Scout Spirit is about.

I see Scout Spirit as an on going development, where character seems to be an acceptance of being what you are.

Eamonn.

When we use the program methods, and develop Scout spirit, good character is the result. I don't see character as something we specifically work on. It's an overused term, almost trite.

I like the discussions of Scout spirit found in the Boy Scout Handbook under the Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, and 1st Class sections. They are all about living the Oath, Law, motto, and slogan every day.

While I agree that we at a very early age are in different ways offered values. We as free thinking humans at some stage decide for ourselves what is important to us.

What do you use to base the decision? (referring to the decision as to what is important to us) What shapes the reasoning you use to decide what is important to you? We don't decide what values we will use to determine our personal values. We make the decision based on what we have been taught and what we have learned from life. Which values we chose to use shows our character it doesn't shape or build our character. If a female under the age of 14 shows herself to be self-sufficient, motivated, charitable, concerned for others, and willing to accept the responsibilities placed before her, we say she shows good character. If that same girl joins a Venturing Crew on her 14th. birthday all of a sudden she has Scout Spirit? I think we might be better served here trying to define Scout Spirit than discussing character.

LongHaul

FScouter, if our vison statement is "The Boy Scouts of America is the nation's foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training." how can we not deliberatly work on character?(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

Since we don't have a specific definition that we can argue, then we are bound to agree.

Character is defined by the worth of a person's honor. A person of with bad character cannot be relied on to do what is asked. A person with good character will be loyal and friendly. Continue right on down the list of the Scout Law. A young man does not join Scouts to increase his honor but it becomes a by-product. Anyone that has worked with Scouts for any length of time will witness that growth through numerous examples. We can readily compare what we observed from our first experience with a Scout to those we see later on. As a Scout matures and takes on duties willingly, when we overhear comments that arose from prior growth-conversations, when we hear parents speak well of their son because of their Scouting experiences, then we begin to know that it is working.

Character building is a lifelong goal. It is one that must continually be worked on and wrestled with all of ones life. It is not determined by what others say or do but is gauged by what we find to be right. This makes it a solitary hike determined by ones moral compass. Everyone measures growth by the measuring rod that they find to be right. It is the strength of the measures on that rod that determines the depth that a person can reach. If it is weak then the depth will be shallow and a persons honor will reflect the same.

Scout Spirit is that which follows the richness of the Scout program in all three dimensions of character, fitness, and citizenship. It begins small and grows over the lifetime of a Scout. A person that grew up in the program will understand because they know what lies ahead is only a trailmarker that guides one on to adventure, fun ,and to the highest points in life. It is that knowledge that walks with us when we engage the methods of Scouting or work a ticket based on the skills of leadership. We do those things not because we are given a duty for a badge but because of the measure of joy that Scouting without fail always provides. FB

The Guy in the Glass

by Peter Wimboe (1934)

"When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,

And the world makes you king for a day,

Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,

And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father or Mother or Wife

Who judgement upon you must pass.

The feller whose verdict counts most in this life

Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,

For he's with you clear to the end,

And you've passed your most difficult, dangerous test

If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and " chisel" a plum,

And think you're a wonderful guy,

But the man in the glass says you're only a bum

If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,

And get pats on the back as you pass,

But your final reward will be heartache and tears

If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

= = = = = =

*pelf:: treasure, wealth, things of worth.

YiS

I think that sometimes we succeed. We lean on Scout Spirit at scout functions, and I think most of us know intuitively what we mean. However, "scout spirit" doesn't generally show up on the radar of people outside the scouting program.

On the other hand, most people understand "character".

Yesterday my eldest son, who at 18 has had his driver license for about 6 months, gently scraped the neighboring car while backing out of his parking space at school. I'm sure he uttered an expletive to himself. He was alone and there were no witnesses. He immediately went into the school office to find out whose car he had hit. He then called my wife for advice (insurance, etc.). The school located the other car's driver, whose dad eventually showed up at the school.

The school principal and the dad both kept remarking how he "demonstrated such good character" by reporting the incident and owning up to it. They also pointed out that many people would not have said anything and just driven off. (There was no mention of "scout spirit".)

Maybe, just maybe, this scout spirit is really helping him to develop good character. I am proud of him.

As a lad many, many years ago in a state far, far away a distinguished silver-haired gentleman took the stage to lecture the Cadet Corps (approximately 50 boys from 4th grade to 8th). These lectures were after the normal school day between 3-5 pm, usually on a Monday and given in the school auditorium. They were commonly known as "Formation". At the time I thought it meant that the cadets formed up to hear our Commandant speak, now I know that it meant something much, much different.

"Character," Major Ormsby intoned, "is the sum total of what you are."

I'm certain there was much more that he said, but that is what has remained with me through the years.

There are other sayings such as "Command the wind!" - i.e. don't slouch and pull yourself into your coat, shove your hands into you pockets and turn your back to the wind. Stand tall, face the wind and don't cower. Tough to do on a cold winter day in Western New York, but worth it to hear him commend you for doing it.

Major Louis J. Ormsby died earlier this year. My mother sent me the obituary from the local paper. Unfortunately while it gave a good thumbnail sketch of his life, it couldn't begin to measure the enormous impact he had on hundreds of boys who were cadets at Stella Niagara during his 50 year teaching career. Boys from WNY, Mexico, Canada and many other locations.

I was fortunate to be able to visit Major Ormsby last year at the nursing home he was staying in. Occupying the place of honor on his dresser was a framed school crest above crossed infantry rifles bearing the letters SN. The motto on the crest is "Fortes en Fides", strength in faith. The Major exemplified that and his definition of character. I am truly thankful and humbled that he provide such a good example.

There are many more stories I could tell, but those are for another time.

Thank You Sir!

John