Scouts with Autism article is out!

For the many folks who've been inquiring, my article about working with Scouts on the autism spectrum is finally published--in the September issue of Scouting magazine. I don't think it's up on the Web yet, but it starts on page 28 of the latest issue of Scouting.

Thank you to all who helped me when I was researching and writing the article. I hope it will be helpful to pack and troop leaders.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

Our issues of Scouting were in the mailbox when we got home last night. Thanks for writing the article and the heads up, we read it last night. Having a son with Aspergers, it was an interesting article. So much of what you talked about is exactly the sort of things we've dealt with over the years. Our son can meet the requirements, he just needs a little help and support now and then to see how to.

Every child with an Autism Spectrum disorder is different, often the parents are the best help in working with the troop to get the best for everyone. That's also exactly what the Boy Scout pubications you listed and the Scoutmaster Handbook also say, about working with scouts with Disabilities.

To that end both my spouse and I are fully trained leaders, so we understand the program, and help where we can. My spouse has been an ASM for years, and we are both Merit Badge Counselors for 5-6 MB's each.

We've never done the work for our son, we've helped him see how to do it for himself. Over the years our son has needed less and less. He's now a life scout, and Troop Guide, working with the younger scouts on skills.