World Citizenship Badge

It seems to me that the World Citizenship is really just a condensed version of a high school government and economy class. It doesn't seem to stretch beyond the mundane stuff that the scouts will eventually have to learn anyways. I'm part of a group that host World Citizenship badge workshops as part of our outreach to the community. How could we make it more meaningful for the scouts? They seem bored. I would be.

You may have heard of this before..... A group of our boys were working on this badge. They divided the group up into 4 different countries. Each country had a president, ambassadors to the other countries and a representative to the UN.

Then a video clip was played where a "world crisis" occurred. Each country had to determine their national interest and decide what their UN representative would do. The video clip appeared to be scout produced, though I am not sure where it came from.

The kids had an absolute blast.

A few months ago I finished doing Citizenship in the World with three boys from my troop. Two were juniors, one a sophomore. The sophomore had been part of the school's Model UN program.

This was a "tough" MB for the boys to do. We didn't add to the requirements, but we sure had some good probing discussions. They really took it seriously, and I know that each boy met all of the requirements personally.

When we finished, I asked for their reaction to the MB. One of the older boys commented that he really enjoyed it. He said that it not only drew on information he'd learned in his AP History class, but went beyond and made him really think about world events and how fortunate we are to live in the United States of America. It made my day!