Wow, not really new to scouting but new here. I have asked a few opinions and really valued the advice that I have been given. I have been in scouting for 6 years now, and have seen some amazing stuff from the scouts, and some really insane stuff from the parents. We started in one pack, and ended up leaving that pack because it didn't work for my son. We moved to another and it fit us much better. But, when my son graduated to boy scouts out of cubbies, we ran into the problems of sexism and scouters that have been in the program for so long they have lost sight of the goals and methods and scouting and have started doing their own thing. Eventually, after a second set of standards and requirements were being used for 'the cubmasters son' my son decided that scouting was not for him. After a long discussion with him, we discovered it wasn't scouting, it was a lack of guidance from the adults and a lack of leadership from the boys. Dodgeball does not make a troop meeting. So, at the guidance of council, we formed a new troop. Well... the old school scouters didn't take too kindly to that and decided to do everything they could to get us removed from leadership. They did not succeed in the end. I was asked to come back as cubmaster, but I politely declined, citing that as long as the parents and leaders are involved who tried to fire us the first time are there, I couldn't lead that pack. So... we have landed with a new pack, our feeder pack for our troop. three fourths of the families have left with us, and all the leaders except the two that were involved and one who doesn't want to be involved (I don't blame her in any way). It is sad because it means the end of a functional unit, loss of some boys, and some friendships destroyed along the way. But, for the boys that remain, we will be able to deliver the program as intended, not what it has evolved to under the same leadership for 30 years which has lost the methods of scouting (uniforms is a method, right?). I am very trained, the only thing I have left to take being ropes course, teepee camping and woodbadge, which I intend to knock out in the next two years. This isn't the first time the old leaders have had issues, as a matter of fact, looking back at pack history, there are breaks 10 years ago and 5 years ago (we were never aware of that one). The troop is only composed of 25% of feeder pack boys, with most boys chosing to go somewhere else.

Anyway, I love that someone put this resource together, and now that I have a lot of time on my hands, I will be happy to throw in advice for any who may need it. I have a lot of experience in dealing with districts and councils, and intra-pack disputes (yeah, the area I am coming from had a LOT of drama, and as I have read thru the forums, I have discovered that the amount of drama these people have around them is probably 5 to 10 times that what you see in a normal unit). I am so glad to be drama free, like it had been up until my boy joined the boy scouts (left cubbies).

So, thank you all who have responded to my post before, I love that there are actually SCOUTS on this forum, giving their perspective as well and using the advice and tools here to solve their problems as well. It shows how strong the scouting program is that a young man will actually not back down and fight for what he thinks is right, and will share some of his more difficult experiences to help adults resolve theirs. I think this is a great thing someone has done, but I can see it only helps if we all chip in, and I will do my best (heehee) to try and pay forward the help and advice that was given to me here.

hmm... my post died...

Anyway... we have engaged the new scouts and told them the program is theirs, we have explained the proper roles of the adults, as a guide, not a leader, the boys are responsible for their program, and our job is to make sure they don't fail and flail, but learning from mistakes is perfectly okay (within the realms of reason and safety of course). The boys have made decisions like neckerchiefs so far, and the SPL has started to design the program, he wants two months of cooking followed by a month of first aid to start with (I joking said, are you sure you don't want to cover burns and food poisining first). We are definately keeping the boys in the patrol method, and keeping the leaders out. One of the bylaws is that there will be only one scoutmaster and then one ASM per patrol (with one backup ASM), but committee members may be assigned to specific boys in leadership roles to assist them in learning their job this year, until the boys can start passing that knowledge down themselves. the troop we came from had at I think had 20 ASMs and 15 boys... and 3 committee members... something out of whack there.

The boys are also taking part in writing the troop bylaws, how often elections are held, what are the requirements for position, a lot of the little details that are normally decided for them, and I think they are feeling a real sense of ownership of this troop, since it is their troop, not just a troop they joined that was already there and running.

We (the boys) are planning hikes already, and I have asked the SPL to make some of the shorter hikes available to the webelos in our feeder pack to get them engaged in the troop.

Part of the reason that the SPL wants to do the cooking classes is because I have also asked (at the request of the cubmaster) that the troop take the pack on a family campout in May, and that the boys would be running the campout for the younger boys. The boys have been, and I mean literally 'you mean WE get to take the pack out camping?' absolutely. This group of boys was responsible last campout for doing all the cooking for the entire pack and did an excellent job, so they are more than willing to bite off more. Of course, I will be asking the new webelos and bears to assist the some of the boys, but under the boys direction (but adult supervision).

Amazingly enough we are picking up a troop that folded two years ago, we have full equipment for about 30 boys, plus we have funding already as well. Looks like the derby track will be a joint pack and troop fundraiser, so the boys will be able to earn money for summer camp as well.

Overall, I think we are off to an excellent start.

The only thing was that they boys wanted not only a patrol flag, but they wanted a troop flag. For their troop flag they chose a phoenix, as a phoenix is reborn from its ashes. Even 10-11 year old boys are more perceptive than parents think, they saw this coming before the leaders did I guess.

Concscouter,

Sounds great. Steady as she goes. Try to keep those by-laws simple, and I'd really would suggest you call them Troop Guidelines or something similar. It sounds less rigid. Just my thoughts. Have fun. You're headed North.

sst3rd