Parent on Registered Sexual Offender list

Well, we have a new problem in our Cub Scout Pack. One of our new Tigers has a father that is on the registered Sexual Offenders list for our county. Now what do we do? Any ideas on what should be our next step? We don't want to alienate the boy because of his father's actions, but, we want to keep our scouts safe as well.

I suggested to our Cubmaster, to find out specifically what the charges were against him if possible, and to start with contacting our Dist Exec & letting him be aware of the situation & asking for his guidance as well.....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If law enforcement confirmed the "he was 30, she was 12" story, and yet the CC continues to say saying something different, I would think that neither of them should be serving in any Pack leadership

Yes, contact the Chartered Organization with your concerns and ask them for support.   Your Committee Chair, if she is lying about her husband's criminal record, should be removed from that position,

I would bypass the DE and go right to Scout Executive over sex offender concerns.

Did he fill out an adult application to be the adult partner? If not, I'd make sure he did. My guess is the council would then give you some guidance.

Contacting your DE for advise is good. I do not think I would allow this man around the den until things were worked out. This may be one of those difficult times as a leader where we have to confront a parent and find out what's going on. This should be the responsibility of the Committee Chairman.

1st make sure, make very sure your information is accurate. If it is, contact your DE & Council & advise them of the situation. Under no circumstances, allow this person to sign up as a leader! If makes no difference why this guy is on that list!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

cb2boys,

Greetings!

Here are my comments.

I am assuming the father is present in the house, and also desires to be a Tiger Cub Partner. On more occassion there may be parents, that are on various list, but not present in the house or in the life of the Scout.

There may be some court privacy issues. I understand most states will provide the list of Sex Offenders, but not details. So, this circumstance should alert the Pack Committee Chair for safety issues, but squash any gossip.

The Pack program is handled by the Cubmaster, the Pack business is handled by the Committee Chair. The Chair should be the person to take action and request the procedural advice from the DE/SE.

As we are approaching the end of the traditional school year. I assume that this Tiger Cub has started early, or the pack does not graduate to the next Den level until the beginning of the School year.

Tiger Cubs is the one portion of the program that requires a partner for activities. The Pack Committee Chair should seek an alternative parent (or guardian, grandparent, adult sibling, aunt, uncle) to be the partner thoughout this next school year.

I would doubt that this father is the only possible adult partner, but if he remains the only adult partner. The Tiger Scout would not be eligible to participate, based on the action of the parents and family.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

That's a tough one and the advice offered by others that your committee chair should contact your district executive on this one. Without further information I also wouldn't want this person in direct contact with other boys.

I do want to counsel a little bit of caution though. There's never an excuse for activity that would cause one to be on such a list. However, depending on state law, that list might encompass a wide variety of behaviors, some of which are more problematic in your setting than others. For example, in my state, if a 17 year old and a 15 year old have an intimate relationship, this is grounds for not only being listed as a sex offender but also as someone who committed their crime against a minor(age of consent is 16). However, there's no way to know, just from looking at the state registry, whether the situation was something like the above, or in fact something much worse. (There's actually a discussion going on right now about changing state law to address this)

In the meantime, make sure you are practicing 2 deep leadership (in addition to this guy).

Lisa'bob

Lisabob is absolutly correct about using caution here. Unless you know why he is on the list don't condemn him. Use caution and DO NOT spread any stories until the council has ruled on issue.

As a judge I have sentence young men of 17 that had relations with a 15 almost 16 yr old on Sex abuse charges because parents pushed the issue even though it was mutual consent on both parts. In this day and age there is no forgiving on these type charges. So these 17 yr old males now have a record thats sealed, but still must register as a level 1 sex offender.

If this is the case with this person and its entirely likely given his age as a tiger parent, then maybe its not really an issue. Most states will tell you why they are on registry, its public information there for the asking.

Unless you know why he is on the list don't condemn him. Use caution and DO NOT spread any stories until the council has ruled on issue.

You might never know why he is on the list. And it should make no difference why. The fact (if it is a fact) he is on this list is enough. However, I do agree with nldscout that he shouldn't be condemned. He just shouldn't be around kids.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

cb2boys

if you go to here http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/CJ38/search.jsp

That is the State Sex offender registry for your state. You can enter the name and look to see what he was convicted of.

The sex offender registry is searchable in all most any state. Its public information. When teach YP we alrays ran it for the town where we were teaching it. IT can be eye opening sometimes.

Here are at least two viewpoints that should be considered.

The parents of the other Scouts in the Den will take a dim view of this person just for him being on the list for whatever the reason.

The other parents of the Pack will be further from the truth than those in the Den but will decide the truth for themselves and condemn the Den and the Pack.

The BSA is very quick to judge and will disallow this person access to a leadership role of any kind.

How do I know this? Because we had an incident that was remotely like this one and the individual was disallowed leadership, membership, and participation.

Be careful.

FB

As a result of new state legislation regulating adults at summer camp, I recently visited our state's online offender list and was stunned to discover one of the troop parents on the list. The parent is not BSA registered but he has gone camping a few times with the troop, not recently.

I have not mentioned this to the CC because it does not seem to be an issue at present, but I am wondering what I should have done had I known this last year when the parent went camping with us.

Advice?

Yikes! I dated a 15 year old when I was 18 for over 3 years with her parent's permission. She was legal when we broke up. Of course, that was back in the mid to late 70's. Funny, I'm 4 years older than my wife and it isn't a big deal when we are 45 and 49.

Good advice all around. You need to do your research. If the father is present, it needs to be addressed. Two deep leadership should always be a constant in any unit so even if an unknown pedophile is around, there will be no opportunity.

Trev,

I'd discuss it with your CC about what to do if this fellow wants to go camping with your unit again. While I would be uneasy having him around, again, two deep leadership is our protection for both the scouts and adults.

Talk to the father. Find out what the details are.

There is a young couple that lives next door to me. Since I sometimes have the boys at the house I check the offender list on a regular basis. His name showed up. They are so sweet and have three great little boys. The oldest will start school this year and I am trying to get him in scouts.

The story is. At just barely 14 she got pregant.

Her parents filed rape charges against him. He then 17, was convicted and served some time in jail. By the time he got out of jail she had turned 18, She left home and they married. They have nothing to do with her family at all. But he is still and will always be a registered sex offender.

OUr CO approved a young man last year. At 18 he got into drugs, Served some jail time. Turned his life around and now at 30 is a great father and man. They approved his registration.

Find out the facts, then talk to your CO and be up front about them.

I'll be blunt.

Go straight to your Council Executive. Do NOT go through your Cubmaster, your Committee Chair, your Chartered Organization Rep, your District Executive, or anyone else. Do NOT discuss it with anyone else.

The Council Executive, the big cheese professional for the Council, is the only one with the responsibility for making such decisions. Go straight to the top and without delay.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

orennoah

I have to disagree with you on this. There was no indication of any YP violation here. Only that a dad of a scout was on the list. Why would you elevate this and possibly raise an issue if you have no accusation against this person without knowing what is up with him.

If you look on your state registry it will tell you what he was convicted of.