Parent on Registered Sexual Offender list

He assaulted a 12 year old girl? I have a better idea. Tell him he needs overnight camping training. Then send him with the scout fathers on a remote camping trip in a totally deserted wilderness area. Problem solved. ;)

Edited by David CO
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If law enforcement confirmed the "he was 30, she was 12" story, and yet the CC continues to say saying something different, I would think that neither of them should be serving in any Pack leadership

Yes, contact the Chartered Organization with your concerns and ask them for support.   Your Committee Chair, if she is lying about her husband's criminal record, should be removed from that position,

I would bypass the DE and go right to Scout Executive over sex offender concerns.

I'm up to date on YPT for leaders, but for parents (not registered as leaders), what's the BSA policy on this? I know there's the 72-hour rule, if an adult is going to be with a scout group more than 72 hours they need to be registered. So this guy isn't going to summer camp. But what about on shorter overnights with the unit? Is he allowed? Are there any obligations to the other parents to inform them of his record? 

1 minute ago, FireStone said:

I'm up to date on YPT for leaders, but for parents (not registered as leaders), what's the BSA policy on this? I know there's the 72-hour rule, if an adult is going to be with a scout group more than 72 hours they need to be registered. So this guy isn't going to summer camp. But what about on shorter overnights with the unit? Is he allowed? Are there any obligations to the other parents to inform them of his record? 

Make him be registered as a leader,  then when he gets denied as a leader due to criminal charges, say he can’t participate in activities due to that.

Your CO has ultimate control over who is approved to be members of your unit, even if BSA allows them.  I agree, if the CC (wife) is lying about the guy's conviction, then say goodbye to the family and wish them well.  A Scout is Trustworthy.

Yes, contact the Chartered Organization with your concerns and ask them for support.   Your Committee Chair, if she is lying about her husband's criminal record, should be removed from that position, IMO.  The Chartered Organization should also be able to ask the husband not to come on outings.  Lastly, you should talk to your council Scout Executive and ask them for how you should handle this, to make sure the Scouts in that pack are protected.  You also have the option of finding another pack.  Best wishes. 

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, AnnieScout said:

Our issue is the Sex Offender is the Committee Chair's husband.  We confirmed from law officials he molested a 12 year old girl when he was 30 something, but she continues to tell the pack he was 17 and the girl was an ex girlfriend (15).  No trust here and she has pushed for him to stay with the pack at overnight events.   Not sure if this is being handled correctly or if my family should leave scouts completely. I never thought I had to watch for predators with scouts, is this an isolated issue and what can I do?

Just to be clear, the people who have the final say on whether someone is allowed to be present at Pack activities are the Chartered Organization, that is, the folks who sponsor your Pack.  I would approach them directly. 

It's probably important that you have written facts with you, or attached to a note if you're doing this by writing.  When you say he's on the registry, print a copy showing his name, when you say you've verified something with law enforcement does that mean you have something written from them or was it a direct conversation or something passed along to you?  If it's not in writing then you should do the research and get the actual data, law enforcement can make mistakes like anyone else.  The important issue when you're approaching the Chartering Org is probably going to be the exact facts not some discrepancy between what she said, or what you heard that she said, and what you heard someone else say.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, FireStone said:

If law enforcement confirmed the "he was 30, she was 12" story, and yet the CC continues to say saying something different, I would think that neither of them should be serving in any Pack leadership capacity. She's dishonest and is covering for a child-molester, and he, well, his record speaks for itself. He should not be around children.

Get your District Exec in on this asap. 

If this isn't resolved to your satisfaction, switch to another Pack. If this guy was allowed on overnights in my Pack, I'd be moving on down the road to the next Pack immediately. 

I would bypass the DE and go right to Scout Executive over sex offender concerns.

• Upvote 2