Parent on Registered Sexual Offender list

I'm going to disagree with the previous two posters (Oren & Lynda) who are on the opposite extremes (handle it yourself or pass the buck to council). I'm also contradicting my own earlier post to some degree.

The process is quite clear. The Committee Chairman is responsible for recruiting leaders and submitting them to the CO for approval and then to council. If the CO doesn't want to approve them, then the council doesn't matter. And, even if the CO is okay with them, he could be turned down by the council/national. So, follow the process, and see what happens.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If law enforcement confirmed the "he was 30, she was 12" story, and yet the CC continues to say saying something different, I would think that neither of them should be serving in any Pack leadership

Yes, contact the Chartered Organization with your concerns and ask them for support.   Your Committee Chair, if she is lying about her husband's criminal record, should be removed from that position,

I would bypass the DE and go right to Scout Executive over sex offender concerns.

Seems to be a lot of phobia going on here. There is nothing to do unless the Dad files a Leader Application. Then make it clear that there WILL be a background check done ... starting with a check of the registered offender databases. That should take care of it.

If he does not file an app, then just do what we always do...strictly enforce 2-deep leadership, and ensure all registered leaders are YP trained...and ENFORCE the YP policy without exception. Encourage all parents to take the online YP training as well, so they know what the policy is.

Could it be that the guy just made a mistake, and now just wants to be a good Dad?

I stand by my advice.

I guarantee that the Council Scout Executive ("CSE") would want to know if a Registered Sex Offender was attending pack and den meetings. If the CSE believes that there is no need for anything to be done, that's the CSE's decision. If the CSE wants to do anything from ensuring certain safeguards to banning participation, that's the CSE's decision.

What we don't need is everyone (BUT the CSE) putting their "two cents in" as opinions are being solicited and the potential for "self help" or additional gossipping rises.

Further, should something go wrong and you had not brought this to the CSE's attention, you would feel terrible.

- Oren

This is a no-brainer. There simply is no place in Scouting for a registered sex offender. What parent in his right mind would want his child in a program where the leadership would accept a registered sex offender in the midst of a group of kids?? We dont need to evaluate the circumstances, investigate the specific dirty deed(s), or walk in his shoes. The judicial system has determined him to be convicted of a sex crime. Who are we to second guess a judge and jury and decide that he might still be OK to participate in Scouting!?

No sex offender, dad or not, has any rights to participate in Scouting. Frankly, Im stunned that the adult leadership in the den, pack, or chartered organization would permit his presence for even one day after being discovered.

Obviously this unit has not followed BSA rules or this sex offender dad would not be participating. The rules, which may be found in the Cub Scout Leader Book, and elsewhere, are:

Every Tiger Cub must have an adult partner. Both the boy and the adult partner must be registered members. All adult leader applications must be approved by the chartered organization. That approval process ought to include calling the 3 personal references listed on the application. The chartered organization is not obligated to accept any application. Once the application is approved locally it is forwarded to the council, where the applicants information will be submitted for a background check, which will reveal the dads sex offender status and will result in his application being rejected. The council will then inform the unit that the dad may not be a part of the program.

If the dad wants his boy in Scouting, he can arrange for a different adult partner. The mom would be an obvious choice, but a brother, relative, or any adult over age 18 may be the adult partner.

Fscouter,

I have to disagree with you on this. Not all people on the sex offender registry are perverts. I just Sentence a young man on a charge of Sexual Misconduct. This is a registerable offense in our state.

Let me give you some background. When the Issue started she was 15 he was 16. It continued for 2 years, once he was over 17 he become a criminal for doing this. They got caught in a public place and parents were embarrassed and pushed the issue. They both plan on getting married, however for the next 10 yrs he is a registered Sex offender.

Is he a Bad person? How many of us did the same thing when we was young and our hormones were raging?

So again I say, find out what it was he did before you comdemn him.

nldscout:

You raise a valid point, as the nature of the offense may not preclude this parent's involvement in Scouting.

My point is that it's not OUR decision to make. It's the Council Scout Executive's.

- Oren

No matter what happened, the individual will be red flagged by National when he signs an application and a background check is completed. Once this happens, he will be banned. Some will then make up their own truth and will wonder why something wasn't done earlier by a lax CC and others will be angry because they know the truth and wonder why National/Region/Council is so harsh. It is a no win situation for everyone involved and it will not stop with just a few.

Before he goes any further, he needs to clear his past record since by his own admission, he is not a threat. FB

FScouter states - "Every Tiger Cub must have an adult partner. Both the boy and the adult partner must be registered members. All adult leader applications must be approved by the chartered organization."

This is incorrect information. The ONLY times a Tiger adult partner HAS to complete an Adult Application is if they want to become a registered leader with the Pack OR if they are not one of the parents living at the same address as the Tiger.

If all a parent is planning on, is to an adult partner to their Tiger son, all they have to do is simply check the little box on the Cub Scout Application that states - Tiger Cub Adult Partner - and then fill in their name, address, phone, date of birth, employer, etc. No social security number is needed. This is the same info any parent is required to give on a YOUTH application.

The original poster NEVER specified that this man was to be his son's adult partner. He simply said that a father of one of their new Tigers is on the list. BSA does NOT exclude parents. As a matter of fact, BSA has a Scoutreach program that takes Cubs into prisons to work with their incarcerated parents.

Follow YPT rules. If you must, the CC & CM can have a private talk with the man & explain why he will not be allowed to be a registered BSA leader. I can see no reason, if all YP rules are followed, to ban him from participating with his son as the program allows.

"If your Cub Scout Pack discovers questionable conduct on the part of someone who has applied for a leadership position, report the finding to the Scout Executive so that the individual can be prevented from becoming involved in other Scouting activities."

Cub Scout Leader Book, 2005 printing, Youth Protection page 27-4 BSA Youth Protection Policies, 3rd paragraph.

Youth Protection is the responsibility of each Leader, parent and Scout in the Pack. Following the Youth Protection policies help to prevent abuse and protects the leaders from false allegations.

FB

• 11 years later...

Our issue is the Sex Offender is the Committee Chair's husband.  We confirmed from law officials he molested a 12 year old girl when he was 30 something, but she continues to tell the pack he was 17 and the girl was an ex girlfriend (15).  No trust here and she has pushed for him to stay with the pack at overnight events.   Not sure if this is being handled correctly or if my family should leave scouts completely. I never thought I had to watch for predators with scouts, is this an isolated issue and what can I do?

Edited by AnnieScout