Need help counseling a young scout

We have a new young scout in our troop that has some learning and attention difficulties and at most meetings he really behaves badly. I have 3 other younger scouts that have told me I'm thinking about quiting because I just can't stand being around "Jonny". What are the rules of scouting to disapline this scout and what can I say to him and his parent....

Thanks

I would have a meeting with his parents to discuss some of the specific issues that have arisen and seek their counsel on how to best manage his behavior in the future. I would be looking for ways to help this boy, rather than ideas for meting out discipline.

Definitely meet with the parents as Semper suggests. I would also require a parent to attend meetings and/or campouts until the behavior improves. Though you should do your best to help, its the parents' responsibility to control the young boy's behavior.

Don't sacrifice the three 'good' scouts or other elements of your program for this one misbehaving scout.

ddhanso,

behaivior modification...not discipline...

If the offence is against order rather than safety you need to establish a record of trying before you get too heavy with parents...(' hate to say it but sometimes they are the part of the problem)

First, you need to have the SPL take the whole group (patrol?) aside and explain what behaviors are not acceptable in your troop meetings/activities...perhaps even working on a behavior contract...Your troop guide also needs to be involved - closely.

As a Webelos leader one of the most interesting experiments I ever took part in was the group dynamic of letting the boys set in writing the behavior rules for their meetings...it worked much better than I ever expected it to...perhaps the SPLand Guide will lead them into a patrol behavior compact!?!

reinforce with

an adult... simply put- strategic placement of an ASM is all it takes sometimes, (a stern look, a shake of the head...even a soft word in the ear...labor intensive but it generally works well. And your NSP does have a "full-time" ASM, right?

Failing those avenues ... then hold a meeting with the parents...explaining the issues... because in the end three scouts quiting is too high a price to pay for a wayward or "challenged" scout...after all they (the 3 scouts)have "rights" also.

It maybe that you will have to resort to requiring a parent to be present at every meeting/event if the behavior is truly that disruptive ...but work on it first and let the other families know your are working on it...do not leave them in the dark either.

good luck

Anarchist

Ditto the other statements. We had a scout that had ADD issues (non-medicated). We ended up having a long talk with the parents. We came to some agreement (parent sticking around meetings, attending outings, etc.). We also agreed to hold him up on the Scout Spirit requirement for advancement. This is what really got him. We expected improvements at each level and have gotten it. He's far from perfect, but he has come a long way. He just made Life, and I would have sworn to you two years ago he'd never make it.

Get the parents involved, counsel the scout, and don't give up!

You NEED to talk with the boy's parents to find out if the boy is on medication, and if he is, find out if he has taken it before the meetings.

The medications tend to wear off around late afternoon to early evening (if he is taking it for the school day).

Explain to the parents what the problem is and find out what they do to help their son.