This summer, I will be a instructer for my 9 year old daughters girlscout troop for a 3 day summber outing. One of the first subjects will be outdoor dangers. Snakes, insects, drowning, fire, poisin ivy, sun exposer,ect... Since this may be some of these grils first exposer to the (Woods) I want to be able to cover all area's, but I do not want to freak them out, and make them so parranoid, that they will not want to leave the pavillion area. Do you have any thoughts other than point out that as long as one takes precausions one will usually never run across any of these dangers.

I've never worked with 9 year old girls, but I'm guessing they have about the same imaginations as 9 year old boys?

I'd try and think like a nine year old!!

Take a 9 year old in the woods and they become great explorers or early settlers? You can do a little imagine-erring and plant the seed.

Explain how strange it must have been coming from far away and finding out about new plants and animals.

Back in England, we don't have the poison ivy and poison oak. We only have two species of snake a grass snake and a adder which isn't very dangerous.

You could talk about how they dressed, why they wore the wide rimed hats and long sleeves and this was before we had sun screen.

Does the outing have a theme? If so tap into that.

Eamonn.

Please teach the young ladies the delights of the outdoors instead of scaring the heck out of them emphasizing (over-emphasizing?) the dangers.

My daughter's Girl Scout troop is horrified at the thought of camping outdoors in tents. They learned this from their parents and other girls. Their first camping experience was on a stormy rainy weekend in very old poorly kept canvas tents with no insect screening. Now they simply will not camp. My daughter has camped with my family and, when possible, with Cub Scouts and absolutely LOVES the outdoors and can't wait until she's old enough to join a Venture crew.

Snakes, insects, drowning, and poison ivy are out there but of little real danger so long as the adults take reasonable precautions.

My advice is to first take them out and focus on the fun. At first make sure you only go out in good weather. Avoid rainy weekends like the plaque. Have a parent come with them so they feel safe. Camp in decent tents. Make sure the restrooms are clean and have flush toilets. Put sunscreen on them to prevent sunburn. Use DEET-based insect repellant to reduce insect concerns. Then, once they've learned to absolutely love the outdoors - and they will. Then move to the next step.

The next step involves teaching them basic skills - work on these while outdoors. First you might go over basic survival skills for kids (see http://www.equipped.com/kidprimr.htm ). Have them assemble a basic survival kit containing a whistle, orange garbage bag (from your local highway dept), water bottle(s), a tiny flashlight, and a bright bandanna, and insist they carry it everywhere outdoors.

Teach them very basic first aid - maybe build a little first aid kit. Teach them to tie basic knots. Teach them basic knife safety (my daughter got her first knife at 7, when her older brother learned knife safety in Cub Scouts). Teach them how to build fires - most kids today haven't even lit a match. Teach them how to cook outdoors. Teach them to bird watch.

Just don't scare them into fearing the outdoors.

Brian,

Does this absolutely have to be "one of the first" subjects for your 3 day adventure? Does it all need to be done at once? Or can you work in a little bit of it at a time, all through the weekend? Are you one of several instructors who has a specific time slot for your assigned subject, or are you going to be on hand the whole time?

If you can break it up, I'd do something like this: first evening before dark, talk about fire safety (not fire danger), teach them what poison ivy looks like, and then collect fire wood and build a fire together and have marshmallows. Next day: early in the morning break out the sunscreen and bug spray and talk a little bit about why, then go on an animal watching hike. Talk about why we don't disturb wildlife in general (squirrels aren't cuddly either and once I got chased by a pair of swans I unintentionally got too close to!) and work your bit about snakes into that. What I wouldn't do is talk about snakes, spiders, bears, etc. right before bedtime!

As for drowning, well I guess it depends on where you are. Most of the places we've camped are not anywhere near water so that doesn't come up as a pressing issue. But couldn't you work that in to the buddy system? I would think another aspect of the buddy system is what to do if you're lost.

I'm in agreement with you and others that a big does of "danger" right up front could spoil the enjoyment. If you can work your discussion in to some fun hands on activities then that will give them some context and something else to focus on besides wild imaginings of bears and snakes or whatever else they might conjur up.

Have fun!

Lisa'bob

Excellent advice all! I sincerely wish there had been an active Girl Scout unit nearby when my daughter was of age. (Alas, she's off to college next fall.) I think I would have enjoyed sharing my love of the outdoors with Girl Scouts. The outdoor component of the GS program seems to be much more hit or miss than in Boy Scouting.

I think the basic reason we like to go camping is for the adventure. Not the swashbuckling pirate kind of adventure, but simply putting ourselves in situations where stuff MIGHT go wrong. But stuff we can handle, like getting wet, or cold, or uncomfortable. We purposely put ourselves in situations that are just a little outside of our "comfort zone". In addition to the "thrill" of "danger" (maybe this is why boys like camping more than girls, on average) we instinctively know that stretching our limits in this way is how we grow. The "hard" part is what makes it worthwhile.

Among the young fellows I know, Wilderness Survival seems to be one of the most popular merit badges. Our troop has a "Survival" themed campout every year. Last year we did the Shoebox Campout.

That was memorable, and I've heard veterans of that campout reagaling the new guys with stories about how cool it was - going into the "wilderness" for a weekend with nothing but the clothes on your back!

Please teach them that we are guests in the critters' home. Not every "danger" needs to be eliminated. It needs to be recognized, admired, and left alone. I have scouts who, upon arriving at summer camp, empty a can of RAID trying to kill every spider and daddy=longlegs within a mile radius.

Briantshore,

First I agree with the advice given, don't scare them off before they have a chance to have fun. You don't say where you are from geographically so I can't comment on "dangers". Poison Ivy is a danger at one of our camps, you have to look when you get out of your car because it's everywhere. Precautions must be taken. Adults could, in this case, view the area first and eliminate or identify plants before youth arrive. Snakes can also be a problem in some areas, because they can seek out the warmth of the tent, which are indigenous to your area? Side note Snakes are not poisonous (with one or two exceptions) they are venomous. If you bite it and it makes you sick it's poisonous if it bites you and makes you sick it's venomous. Could be used as a means to diffuse the initial "ARE THERE SNAKES HERE?" No food in tents if you have a critter population, danger or precaution depends on the size and make up of the critter population. What I'm getting at is identify your dangers which must be addressed up front and separate them from your precautions, fire safety, sanitation, water safety and things which can be addressed incrementally. My suggestion is to have a parents meeting at which you address proper equipment and clothing, sunscreen, sun block, insect repellant, sanitation, and what dangers are inherent to this outing, this being done without the girls. Explaining to the parents that poison ivy is present in large amounts and the girls need long pants and extra changes so possibly contaminated clothing can be isolated and not reworn means that all you need do with the girls is reinforce precautions. Carefully removing all outer clothing, carefully turning each piece inside out after a hike can be done without having everyone so scared before and on the hike that they look nowhere except their feet and legs as they walk right past the reasons we are hiking.

LongHaul

This is a scripted piece I wrote for unit volunteers to use at day camp to introduce the buddy system. Use as is, or your comments are appreciated too to make it better :) It includes a couple very simple ice-breaker games to reinforce the buddy system.

Peace,

Anne in Mpls

Orientation for girls on how to be a good buddy!

Whats your name?

Whats your buddys name?

Having a buddy is an important part of staying safe and having fun here at day camp!

A buddy is a person for you to be with. The buddy system is everything we do with our buddies to keep each other safe.

The adult leaders and caddies have done their part to make our day camp safe and fun. Being a good buddy is how you do your part to keep our day camp safe and fun.

What makes a good buddy?

Know who your buddy is! Quick: turn around and see if you can remember what your buddy is wearing. Were you right? Did you mix anything up or forget anything important? Try it again! You can also play another game: each buddy secretly changes something about what theyre wearing maybe take a barrette out, or roll your socks down, then turn back around and see if you can figure out whats different!

Stay with your buddy!

This works best when you keep the same buddy all day. That way, you always know who youre supposed to be with. Any adult leader or caddie you see can ask you where your buddy is well be checking! Stay with your buddy.

Well, how close do you mean when you say stay with your buddy?

When youre in your unit area, working on a craft or playing a game, youre close enough when both of you are within your unit areas boundaries. (Ask your unit leader or caddie if you dont know the boundaries!) Same thing if youre at a station playing a game (again, make sure you know the boundaries for the station!)

Heres another game to play with your unit and with your buddy: Your leader or caddie will call out a direction: Elbow to ear!, and yup, you and whoever is next to you put elbow to ear! Or hand to toe, or hair to nose, or whatever the leader calls out, when she calls out Buddy to buddy! you run and get your buddy and hold your hands in the air.

If your buddy needs to go somewhere, to the bathroom or the first aid station going with her is your job! You go with her, and she goes with you. Everywhere you go. If an adult is not walking with you, you and your buddy hold hands. (Remember! Any of the adult leaders or caddies can ask you wheres your buddy?)

Some activities require more attention from our buddies to keep us safe. When you are in the water or on the boat, you need to be within arms reach you should be able to touch your buddy instantly if she needs you right there.

The adult leaders may need to make changes to these rules for being a good buddy thats their job, to keep watching the situation and figuring out what makes sense. As with everything else in Girl Scouts, you respectfully follow the rules and follow the leaders instructions.

Thank you everyone. You have all given me much to work with. I guess I did not get all of my information out at the beginning. I am in NW Illinois, and since the Girl Scout Leader and Assisant are not the outdoorsy type, they have asked me to become the sole instructer. This is at a Scout Cabin, 3 miles from our home town. This building was donated to the GSA and BSA for scouting purposes. Very much like the one from the movie "Follow Me Boys". It is about 125 yards from the water, so there is a danger from that area. There is poisin ivy, and probably a good risk from mosquitoes, and ticks. I think that the timber rattle snake is the only poisines snack that would live in this part of the state, but from what I usderstand, it is very rare, most likely to be found much further north near the Wisconsin border, and then you would have to activly seek it out.

This will take part only during the day time, but I do not know what exposer these girls have had, so I want to do the basics. We will be working on 3 badges, Outdoor Fun, Nature, and one called Finding your way. To put in in BSA language, we will learn about studying and observing nature. Thank you Scoutldr. I will use your advice. We will learn the first stage of maps and compass, and that we can have fun in the outdoors. I just wanted to explain that we would have lots of fun, but as in any envirment,there are dangers, so we must respect them and take appropiate care. Once again thank all of you for your thoughts

Brian

Thank you everyone. You have all given me much to work with. I guess I did not get all of my information out at the beginning. I am in NW Illinois, and since the Girl Scout Leader and Assisant are not the outdoorsy type, they have asked me to become the sole instructer. This is at a Scout Cabin, 3 miles from our home town. This building was donated to the GSA and BSA for scouting purposes. Very much like the one from the movie "Follow Me Boys". It is about 125 yards from the water, so there is a danger from that area. There is poisin ivy, and probably a good risk from mosquitoes, and ticks. I think that the timber rattle snake is the only poisines snack that would live in this part of the state, but from what I usderstand, it is very rare, most likely to be found much further north near the Wisconsin border, and then you would have to activly seek it out.

This will take part only during the day time, but I do not know what exposer these girls have had, so I want to do the basics. We will be working on 3 badges, Outdoor Fun, Nature, and one called Finding your way. To put in in BSA language, we will learn about studying and observing nature. Thank you Scoutldr. I will use your advice. We will learn the first stage of maps and compass, and that we can have fun in the outdoors. I just wanted to explain that we would have lots of fun, but as in any envirment,there are dangers, so we must respect them and take appropiate care. Once again thank all of you for your thoughts

Brian

I find taking children outdoors onto trails and into camping settings to be fun, and part of heading out just naturally leads to talk here and there of safetly along the way. Recently, I took my daughter out for her Daisy nature hike. This troop has close to 15 girls in it now, and it's not unusual to have all or all but one show up at any meeting or event--a very active group--so it was surprising that only about 6 came to the hike. My daughter is still wondering why they never really hiked (grin), but we did learn why others didn't come: they were afraid of the bears! There are NO bear in this area at all, and the hike was a walk on a paved surface around a playground--with the road visible half the way and backyards visible the other and always the playground in the center. So, though they are young and might become frightened easily, I have to wonder who in the heck told these girls there were bear around. As for those on the hike, 2 had fun--the others were looking rather spooked until they learned they could look under rocks for bugs. Go figure--girls like bugs ;)

All that to say, the approach matters. Approach it as "let's see what we can discover today, and as we head out on the trail, let's make it the most fun by sticking to the trail because that's an easy way to avoid things like poison ivy or bugs that might want to hitch a ride." Head coverings could be done in a fun way, and if light clothing is to be encouraged, that could be too. Since the leaders aren't out-doorsy, maybe their crafty? The girls could make bandanas and decorate polo shirts with collars to turn up; this could be part of the gear and it would be a fun (without even telling them yet why it's important) to introduce some safety items.

Have fun!