The ship went to visit another Ship in West Virginia, yesterday.

It isn't that far, about 50 minutes by car.

I had four Sea Scouts in my Ford (yes I do have five seat belts!) They trundled in with all their "stuff".

Everything a well dressed Sea Scout doesn't really need: Cell phone, Walkman, camera and change of clothes.

As room was a little tight I opened the back of the Explorer and they deposited what they thought they could live without for the ride.

I never said what they should or shouldn't place in the back.

I did have Paul Simon playing in the car.

We drove all the way without a cell phone coming out. One Lad had kept his Walkman, but I didn't see him wearing his ear-phones.

I really do try to pay extra attention to my driving when I'm transporting other peoples children, so I wasn't really joining in the conversations that they were having.

Like any group of kids they talked about school and one Lad (our Boatswain) had everyone laughing when he tried to explain that his Mom is losing it because she says yes to the things that he thinks she will say no to??

We drove back, only stopping for a quick burger at Burger King. Queen was playing in the car and again there was no sign of the cell phones or Walkman.

I really do enjoy just sitting there listening to a group of happy kids. Of course I wish I was their age, but I know that will never be and anyhow if I was I would miss out on the fun of just being a Scout Leader.

Eamonn.

Last summer, our Day Camp was switched to a location about 45 minutes from our home. Previously, it had been less than 10 minutes away. Since I was planning on driving and staying every day, I took 4 other Cub Scouts in addition to mine.

I had thought the 45 minute drive was going to be tedious, but those 5 boys kept me (and each other) entertained the whole time. As a matter of fact, when one mom asked her son what his favorite part of day camp was, he said it was the DRIVE to and from, because the other boys (my son in particular) were so funny and entertaining!

I"m not sure what it says about me that I was so easily amused by 9 year old boys' humor?!

It's remarkable how boys of scout age forget that tent walls are not soundproof! While not eavesdropping on purpose, you hear some very entertaining things after the troops go to bed! Also some things you wished you never did hear!