A little while back someone in the forum questioned the "National Policy against Scouts drinking coffee and cola"

At the time I thought someone had just got their wires crossed. Then last week someone else mentioned it.

Now I'm 99.999999% certain that this is just a myth. While I do know that LDS units are not going to be drinking cola and coffee. I just don't know where this idea that there is a policy is coming from.

I'm not saying anything about what harm or what good caffeine does and I'm not debating if there should or shouldn't be a policy.

I just want to know where this myth is coming from?

Eamonn.

Eamonn:

Your post is the first time I've heard of such a thing. Can't have any basis in truth though - GAC camps and council office all have drink machines-O-plenty.

Only thing I can think of is someone mistaking it with LDS policy.

One time at Camporee, a visiting Webelos 2 scout had to leave in the middle of the night because he had severe headaches and the shakes from caffeine withdrawal! I guess his Mom should have brought his daily dose of Pepsi for him, or better yet, started weaning him off the stuff!

I have two young men in my Troop that are on medication. If they forget to bring their meds we have been told to give them caffeine.

Also be fully award that if you have kids drinking Mountain Dew or Big Red. They have more caffeine in them that about two large cups of coffee.

"Also be fully award that if you have kids drinking Mountain Dew or Big Red. They have more caffeine in them that about two large cups of coffee. "

Not to mention the plethora of so called "Energy" drinks like Boost, Red Bull etc. We had one scout show up to a meeting after one of these and he was literally bouncing off the walls.

I have not heard of any such pronouncement from national.

SA

I can't quite let the comment about Mountain Dew pass. A 12-ounce Mountain Dew has less caffiene than an 8-ounce cup of coffee. See http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm, or search for other sites to confirm that as well.

But I do agree it's enough caffiene to have significant effects. And at the same time, there are drink machines all over our summer camp. I do not believe there is any such policy.

Oak Tree

Speaking as someone who is admittedly addicted to my Diet Pepsi, THERE BETTER NOT BE SUCH A POLICY!! LOL. Some of our adults are amazed that I can be drinking my Diet Pepsi at 7 AM on a sub freezing morning while watching them guzzling their coffee.

Dale

There is no such policy. Rumors of ridiculous "policies" such as this get started and propagated by persons that dislike rules and policies in general. As if to say we don't follow rules and policies because policies are ridiculous, and here's an example.

FScouter

I respectfully disagree with you on how these myths get started.

I believe that they get started by units who have these rules ie no soda, insurance will not cover you when traveling unless you are in uniform, etc. The units find it easier to say that it a BSA rule instead of guiding the scouts to do the correct thing for the correct reason.

Soda on campouts:

Leader

How does this fit into the food pyramid?

Scout

It says sweets are ok.

Leader

Yes, but how much?

Scout

One serving per day?

Leader

Correct! So you can either have a can of soda or the cobbler you where planning on making.

• 2 weeks later...

If National wants to make this policy then they better inform Councils that they need to remove these drinks from the machines at summer camp.

I have a problem with National setting a rule for what my child can eat or drink.(This message has been edited by Lynda J)

A week or so back I asked if "Honesty was the best policy?"

I have to wonder if the people who start or use these "Fake Policies" ever think about the fact that they are not being honest?

While maybe their intentions are good maybe even better than good? In my book they lose credibility when they can't be trusted.

Normally as a rule when it comes to the "Travel in Uniform" policy that isn't a policy. I out of choice do wear full BSA uniform (depending on where we are going and what we will be doing once we get there!)

OJ, isn't very keen about being seen in his Boy Scout Uniform, outside of Scouting functions.

I suppose I could lie to him and pretend that there is a policy saying "You have to wear it because the BSA says you must"

So while I would like him to wear it and do at times tell him that he is going to wear it!! (Hey no one said that my home is a democracy)He knows that this is coming from me not the BSA.

I'd far sooner him think that I'm a bit of a pain in the neck, than for him to find out that I was telling him lies.

Anyone for a Espresso?

Eamonn.

We have evolved a general policy in our Troop against bring canned soft drinks on camping trips due more than anyting else to economic reasons. Since the Scouts have to collect their own money and buy their own food, the have discovered that "Bug Juice" (kool-aid) is far less costly than even the cheapest canned soft drink. By drinking bug juice, then can spend more on bacon, eggs, meat, and the like! While the Scouts do drink hot chocolate (and thus the caffeine it contains) they simply do not have access to caffeine thus avoiding the problems described in previous messages.

Ahhhh Bug Juice!

You sure can get a good sugar rush from IT!

I remember as a scout I would occasionally eat a spoonful of straight powder mix.

Its sure surprising that I did not get my first cavity until I was 31 yrs old.

I bet my adult leader loved me!

Mark M.