We band of brothers?

Eamonn, sorry for sealing part of you title, but it sparked a question in my mind; How do other Troops deal with the integration of brothers in the Troop.

Two of our seven new cross-over Scouts are brothers of existing Scouts in the troop. Big brothers have expressed their concern that "little brother" not be put in their patrol. In the past I have had brothers beg to be in the same patrol. Obviously, there are different dynamics when it comes to sibling relationships. We plan to put all seven in a NSP, but had there been 4 or fewer new Scouts, they would have had to be integrated into existing patrols.

So, the question is, how do other Troops handle the integration of Brothers in patrols?

Do you let the brothers decide?

Do you always put them in separtate patrols?

Just curious...

ASM59

Good question. We always let the Scouts decide for themselves. However, we use the NSP (new scout patrol) system and so it generally is not an issue.

Now that I think for a moment, it's amazing the number of brothers we have in our troop. We have ten pairs of brothers! No twins though, who might want to be in the same patrol...

Yeah, I agree leave it up to the boys. It won't help the patrol if the boys are fighting all the time. You might check with the parents also, as they may not want to be driving the boys to two different patrol meetings.

We do not use the NSP, but integrate new scouts into existing patrols. We normally put brothers in different patrols. In my many years, when I used to ask, 95% of the time its "Yuch! I don't want to be with my little brother"!