I like to think that when it comes to knots, lashings and that sort of thing I'm fairly good at both teaching and using rope.

I have known guys who carry a piece of rope around in their pocket and at the first opportunity pounce on some poor unsuspecting Scout and start sharing the joy of the crown knot. I'm not one of them.

Sad to say when it comes to splicing, I'm not very good, in fact I normally screw it up!!

I don't know if any one remembers making the Commando Belt on the old Boy Scout Wood Badge course? Well , mine always looked like something that the dog had chewed.

I know that practice will help!! But I welcome any ideas or resources you might have.

Thanks,

Eamonn.

Our District Camporee's theme this fall was Pioneering & splicing was a hot topic. The SM had tried to show the boys how to do it at a campout the month before, but according to my son he didn't do a very good job explaining it.

Apparently at Camporee there was a Scouter at one of the stations who used a different approach that really clicked with my crazy boy. Since then no rope is safe with him! He has turned into a splicing fiend! It rather reminds me of someone knitting, it keeps his hands busy while his thoughts are elsewhere.

When he returns from wandering the malls with his sister I will see if he can explain his technique.

Thanks anarchist

I did a google on Rope Fid and came up with some very interesting results.

I ordered myself a Fid -There was a video but I was feeling a little cheap!!So maybe that can wait.I'll see how I get along without it.

Eamonn

A good way to learn splicing is to wrap each end of the strand with tape. Color the tape on end of each strand with the different color marker. That way you can keep track of what goes where. This also helps the strands from fraying.

If you are thinking of teaching splicing, it is important that you know it backwards and forwards. (Most knots I would say do it blindfolded before you teach it, but splicing is different). Often times the boys mess up the splice and you will have to know how to fix it and get them back on track. Books and web sites are good, but it's best to learn a skill like splicing from someone who knows how to do it.

Sad to say some of the people who have tried to teach me were some of the best!!

Blaming the teacher just wouldn't be fair!!

I can't even blame it on being left handed Which I am, but it has never got in the way.

I'm the problem.

I think it's something that I have just got to work on.

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

In tying the crown knot try this. Hold the unwrapped rope so that the center strand is to the back of the rope as you are looking at it. Take the center rope and fold it over toward you so that a loop about of an inch in diameter is created. Looking at the rope now you should see Squiggly Man. His arms are wavy because of the previous coil of the rope. Take Squiggly mans right arm and put it over his left shoulder. Now take his left arm and shove it right through his head and out the other side. Gently tighten the knot down tight. Color coding the three strands is a great idea because it makes it easier to see errors and correct them. Then its just practice.

LongHaul

Clarification Where it says "Take 'Squiggly Man's' right arm and put it over his left shoulder " it should say "Take 'Squiggly Man's' right arm and bring it under his chin and then over his left shoulder." Learned this from my son after he was on staff at our Summer camp. It's easy to remember and fun for the boys when you teach it.

LongHaul