Hello from Tampa Bay

I was a Scout until 18 and now my son is doing it too. I became a Wolf Den Leader so I'm just looking for advice in certain areas. This looks like a good place. We've been meeting for 2 months now. Our den meetings are at the local elementary school with the other dens present as well, seperated of course. I bought the Resource Guide and it's a helpful tool as a guide, but it doesn't give you everything. I'm using the handbook at the meetings as well.

I want the kids to learn but I need to make it fun. I don't want the boys to feel like I'm lecturing them each week. I'm looking for those "hands on" activities the scouts can do during a meeting aside from what's in the handbook.

Thanks

To a certain extent one has to get their "nose out of the book" and just enjoy the kids you have. Take a break, take a hike, break it up a bit, play a game of their choosing, etc.

I made the mistake when I was a Webelos II leader. I made it so much fun the boys torpedoed me at the Blue/Gold. The boys all earned their Readyman pins and when the CM handed out the award to one of the boys, he asked him what he had done to earn the pin. The boy gave him a deer-in-the-headlight look. He had no idea. It kinda put me on the spot! Then the CM smiled and asked the boy if he had done any first aid kinds of things, and the boy lit up and rattled on about the stretcher races, bandaging, making slings out of neckers, etc. that the CM finally had to interrupt him and move on with the program.

Make it fun and enjoy it yourself.

Stosh

• 3 months later...

I have just finished 6 years of cubs. Make sure to play some games every meeting. I would recommend the Cub Scout "How To" book and the games section. Start a box with ball, balloons, cones, etc and you can make up many games.

Try not to make lectures and crafts all the time.

Theres a new Cub Scout program for 2011,it lays out the program meeting by meeting. The guide can make things as simple as following the pre meeting checklist, walking in, and following the syllabus to the end. The program also is friendly to modification to fit your needs. I think you can get the whole 2011 program guide form your local scout shop for under $15.00, and it will cover tiger to webelo 2. I suggest tracking this guide down, it will make your job easy, and a success.

Actually, it is called the Cub Scout 2010 Delivery Method. It officially started in September, 2010.

JeromeK, the OP, stated that he had purchased, and was using, the Den and Pack Meeting Resource Guide for the new delivery method. He also stated that he did not find it was giving him everything he wanted/needed.

As Tampa Turtle recommended, the How-To-Book is a great resource, and can be found at your local Scout Shop.

Baloo's Bugle is also great - http://usscouts.org/bbugle.asp

The old Cub Scout Program Helps had some great ideas, and although well hidden, can still be found on the BSA National site -

Aug, 2007 seems to be the oldest - http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/2007-08.pdf

if you change the year, and month, you will access others.

There is also a page with 100 Anniversary Program Helps that goes from Sept, 2009 thru Sept, 2010 -

http://ww2.scouting.org/100years/100years/CubScouts.aspx

All are pdf files. I would suggest downloading and saving these Program Helps as I am sure BSA will clear them off of their server sooner, rather than later.