Dangerous parent/leader

As a parent, I would repremand my child if the incident was out of control. If the leader handled my son in such a manner, he'd be looking up at the sky while lying on his back! Sure, I'd be just asa wrong. But if charges are put on me, I'd claim it was self defense for my child who was being manhandled by an adult. By the way, the leader would've had charges filed as well.

I'm sure the BSA National office would like this type of publicity.... NOT!!!

"Council didnt just step in and take over as some here on the forum might expect. In general, Council lets the units deal with unit business and more or less has to be dragged in farther,"

As unfortunate as it is, this is exactly what I have experienced and understand from others when looking to council for guidance. Council should be there for units to offer that guidance or assistance in a wide array of issues that units face and that just isn't available. Units are often left to fend for themselves. But I think that is for another thread...

Great suggestion by Eagledad for a possible resolution. Good luck.

Jerry

Edited portion:

Ok, I created that other thread...

Expectations from Council - Fending for Ourselves(This message has been edited by Cubmaster Jerry)

Just to give you all an update. I did confront the SM and several other committee memembers and clued the SM in to what his duties were and what I would do (call the District and then resign my position) if nothing happened. It worked... he did call the SE and the SE has left it up to the Troop to deal with (unless the parent of the child presses charges). We have a committee meeting tomorrow and will be discussing this whole issue, together with the broader issue of respect and discipline. It sounds like the parent may be pressing charges though, so there may some more "fun" ahead. I and the rest of the committee are bound and determined to turn this around for the good of the boys. Everyone is in agreement that the abusive parent has to leave. We've already told him he couldn't come to anything until we had our committee meeting (although he has shown up a couple times and has had to be "reminded"). I really don't want to have to resign over this because I really like working with the boys and so do my two sons (both Eagle scouts). Thank you all again for your great advice!

• 2 months later...

In your intial writing you did not indicate if you personally saw all this happen. You also did not mention if you committee chairman was present or your Scoutmaster was present. Any adult witnessing this kind of action has a duty to stop it and report it. The Committee Chairman and Scoutmaster have a duty to deal with this if they are aware of the situation. The only special meeting that need occur is one where they report on the actions they have taken. That's why they get paid the big bucks ;-) . If there was truly abuse then your Scout Executive needs to be informed. Different Scout Executives and Councils respond differently to this kind of charge. Hopefully your Council will recognize that the Unit is acting responcibly and is dealing with an unacceptable incident that the unit does not want to have happen again.

Even with the unit responding as it should I would encourage training for adults, adult leaders and Junior Leaders to review how to deal with this type of situation to insure it does not happen again. Also all youth members of the Troop should be informed as to behavior expectations of the unit. It sounds like some horseplay just got out of hand and the response of the adult leader was way out of hand. Why didn't someone step in prior to it getting to this point ? I suspect we might be missing some of the story here.

I am absolutely outraged that an adult leader would have the audacity to do something like that; I would forget the committee meeting and so strait to your councils scout executive right away. Not only does it violate YPG (youth protection guidelines) that all adults are required to follow but he also, I am sure he brook many criminal laws. This adult leader has no right to bee in the BSA and you need to take immediate actions right away! So this can not happen again.

SM12505

This matter was taken care of. He is no longer on our charter as a leader and has been forbidden to hold any leadership position. He presented himself before our committee with a heart felt apology. He is getting help and taking classes through his church. Because his son can really only attend our troop and he was making significant progress, the dad is allowed to drop off and be with his son only. And if his son goes on any trips, then he is only allowed to drive his own son.