Scoutmaster Problems

I seek your wise counsel.

The Scoutmaster has become overbearing to a point that it is dramatically affecting the program.

Scoutmaster minutes have become either 15 minute tirades or the same repeated topics over and over again. In fact he has "Scoutmaster minutes" at CORs and PLCs as well.

He undermines his assistants. He makes Troop policy without consulting anyone. He is not training the Scouts (His primary job as Scoutmaster) or supporting his assistants when they do. The first 40 minutes of last night's PLC consisted of the SM "talking at" the Scouts and telling them what to do. Outside of Troop meetings, he is not communicating with adults or the Scouts.

He has spent the past 9 months preparing for the summer Philmont trip and ignoring the purpose and needs of the Troop. 1 Webelos joined the troop this spring and he has not been seen since Summer camp.

Other than trying to help more to share the load, talk to the Committee Chair, or confronting the SM, what can we do to ease this difficult situation?

Thank you.

You say: 'Other than trying to help more to share the load, talk to the Committee Chair, or confronting the SM'... does this mean you have already done that, or you don't want to do that?

You must involve the Committee and the Chartering Organization if the situation is as dire as you say.

You need to remember ( and it needs to be pointed out to the SM ) that the program is to benefit the boys, not the SM, the committee or anyone else. It may be uncomfortable to do so, but he must be spoken to and/or removed from the position. Remember, a Scout is Brave...

If I were you, I would gather together as many other committee members that share the same concerns and arrange a meeting with the CC and COR to address them. If the CC and COR are not willing to address the concerns by talking with the SM and seeking ways to immediately improve his performance, then I would discuss with my son (and the other folks with serious concerns) the possibility of looking at other troops that may offer better opportunities for fun and growth.

If you haven't done so yet, please take the time to talk to the SM directly. Sometimes bad habits form and they grow because no one points them out to us. This sounds like more than that, but let's not overlook the obvious.

It almost sounds like this SM has an axe to grind or there are some external factors impacting his actions. I'd try to get to the bottom of it and solve the root cause. Especially if this wasn't his style before.

At the end of every meeting, have the PLC complete a short evaluation. At the end of each campout, take a few minutes for an evaluation with the entire unit. At the end of each year, have the entire Troop complete an evaluation. The Troop Committee should be advised of all of the results. If there are things that are problems, then they can be addressed with the Leadership and Scouts at all levels. This approach does not allow for extended problems or for people to hide from the things that can be changed. An open approach allows for changes in behaviors and will lead to a program that everyone can proudly advertise as something of value.

FB