When to step in

Our Senior Patrol Leader was talking to the troop about up coming activities. Some of the boys were talking and giggling among themselves. Not proper scout behavior but not as bad as the SPL made it out to be.

Anyway the situation fed on itself. The boys got more obnoxious and the SPL got more frustrated.

I don't want to step in at the first sign of trouble (btw I am now the scoutmaster) since I don't want to undermine the SPL's authority. But the situation can get very bad very fast.

So is there a "right time" to step in?

I tried talking to the SPL after the meeting. His attitude was nothing is my fault we just got a bunch of trouble makers in the troop.

Well, this is always interesting, because you're treading a narrow line.

I'd counsel the SPL that he really needs to get the guys quieted down so that they understand what he's talking about. Have him try putting the sign up and waiting, just like you would do yourself.

If that doesn't work, I'd quietly remind the Scouts that the SPL has the sign up and wants their attention.

Always, I think, you want to term things in ways that point to the SPL and not yourself.

Not an uncommon problem, I think.

An effective response is for the scoutmaster to go stand SILENTLY next to the scoout causing the disturbance. That usually ends the problem.

If they persist simply rest a hand on their shoulder. That will nearly always end it.

But...if they continue, simply turn them gently and guide them away from the meeting and begin a counseling session out of earshot or view of the other scouts. (You will of course need to be in view of another adult.)(This message has been edited by Bob White)

NO, NO, NO!

IT's OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

BW nails it again...drat and confound it!

You might also want the PLC to take back to their patrols during "patrol time" a few words of wisdom 'bout respecting the positions of rank and what was noted by the SM about the un acceptable behavior...if the PLs understand and reinforce the "quiet-respect" principle, peer pressure will also grow...

if not ...

OFF with their heads!(This message has been edited by anarchist)

I remember many years ago, my wife and I standing in line for a red-eye flight, and not knowing if we were going to be allowed to board, because it was a mail run too, and weight was an issue.

There was this guy pacing back and forth, huffing and puffing, just nervous as heck that he might not get on the flight... I'm sure you've seen the type... he was just annoying everyone around him...

So my wife, dear sweet creature that she is, stands next to the guy... he moves, she moves. He sighs, she sighs... she imitates is every more, but VERY subtle about it... never says a word... after about 2 minutes of this.. he calms down.

This is a tried and true technique... BW is right on, I've used this method time and time again and it always works.. I never have to say a word.

Sometimes you say more by being silent, eh?

:-)