All Work and No Play?

After-School Special

http://www.parents.com/articles/age/5895.jsp

From sports practice to art programs, a new survey finds 79 percent of America's middle and high school students regularly participate in activities both after school and on weekends.

By Beth Turner

December 16, 2004 When school lets out, what do your kids do? According to a new survey, they're more likely to be running off to dance class or heading to football practice than flopping down on the couch or hanging out after the bell rings.

Almost eight in ten (79 percent) of America's middle and high school students say they participate in some kind of out-of-school activity or program both on school days and on weekends, according to a new survey. What's more, 57 percent say they participate in some kind of out-of-school activity or program every day or almost every day, and another 37 percent say they do so a couple of days a week.

These results are from a new survey, All Work and No Play? Listening to What Kids and Parents Really Want from Out-of-School Time, which is based primarily on two national random samples: one of 609 middle and high school students, and another with 1,003 parents of school-age children.

The vast majority of students claim their schedules are filled up, but the type of activities that take up their time vary widely. Here's a look at what school kids say they are doing:

* 66 percent participate in sports activities

* 62 percent are in school clubs or extracurricular activities

* 60 percent do volunteer work

* 54 percent attend religious instruction or a church youth group

* 52 percent take lessons in music, dance or art

* 52 percent are in an after-school program at school or another locale

* 37 percent of high-school students have a part-time job

* 30 percent get regular tutoring or extra academic or test preparation

* 19 percent belong to an organization like the Scouts

Most American students surveyed indicated that activities "play a crucial and positive role in their lives," according to the study. Some other key findings:

* 85 percent say they think kids who participate in organized activities are "better off" than those who have a lot of time to themselves after school

* 89 percent say they sometimes need a parental push to get involved

* 75 percent say their day-to-day schedule during the school year was "just about right"; 22 percent said it was "too hectic"

* 28 percent say they are home alone after school at least three out of five days in a typical school week

* Given the choice, 54 percent would choose an activity that emphasizes sports; 36 percent would choose art, music, or dance; and 9 percent would take the academic option

* Low-income and minority parents are substantially more likely than higher-income and white parents to say they have trouble finding high-quality, convenient and affordable activities for their children

Do your kids participate in activities? Why (or why not) do you think it's important to get them involved in extracurricular events? Share your thoughts on our message board:

http://www.parents.com/community/boards/thread.jspa?forumID=69&threadID=181385

The All Work and No Play? survey is a joint project of charity organization The Wallace Foundation and nonprofit research organization Public Agenda. The two national random sample surveys the findings are based primarily on were conducted in June 2004.

Additional resources from Parents.com:

After-School Activities: Weighing the Options

http://www.parents.com/articles/family_time/4155.jsp

First Classes That Make the Grade

http://www.parents.com/articles/ages_and_stages/3003.jsp

Stressed-Out Kids: How Much Is Too Much?

http://www.parents.com/articles/ages_and_stages/3026.jsp

Finding Great After-School Child Care

http://www.parents.com/articles/ages_and_stages/3183.jsp

Kind of funny because in another thread the question was asked why volunteerism is down then the author ponders the decline of adult fraternal organizations. The reasons get thronw out the window when we see that parents are too busy making sure their kids are in all in sorts of organizations.

As with any study, you have to take the results in perspective. I mean, come on, how many kids are going to fill out a survey and admit to being a slacker?

66% are in sports but only 54% would choose sports? 85% believe that activities are important but 89% admit they need a push to get involved?

Sometimes you just can't take these things too seriously. The numbers don't add up.

I think many parents and kids see sports as a possible link to scholarships for college and they don't see that with scouting.

I am a belived in what my dad always said.

"Keep kids busy enough in good quality positive fun things and they won't have time to get in trouble."

Kevin does volunteer work with an animal rescue shelter and through the school library. He did soccer and will again. And of course Scouts.

OGE: can you fill us in? I know he was a highly touted QB (at USC, I think?) but was a disappointment in the pros.

In fact, few HS athletes earn college scholarships, and fewer still eventually are offered a chance (much less are actually successful) in the pros.

So if that's what parents are looking at, I think they are looking in the wrong places. The lessons learned in Scouting will serve a young person throughout his or her life, including whatever profession they choose to go into.

In fact, exposure to many fields through earning MBs may be more valuable in the long run than the long-shot odds many kids face trying to earn a college athletic scholarship and eventual draft spot on a pro team.

Just my 2