Don't Quit, Just Yet !!

Kudu Posted:

"Simply put, there is no scientific proof that Scouts make better citizens, are more fit, or exhibit better character than boys who do not get involved in Scouting. In the end, we take that kind of thing on faith too. Scouting is a game, not a science.

If this is true we are all wasting our time we might as well pack up shop and go home.

But before we all quit and cancel the upcoming Jamboree maybe we should take a look at:

A Year in the Life [PDF]

This independent study finds that Scouting program has positive benefits for youth, families, and communities. Which can be found on the BSA web site. Scouting information center. Research Reports.

Eamonn.

I certainly do take it on faith that my sons are better off for participating in Scouting. But that report doesn't really give strong evidence. Certainly it shows that people say that the Scouting experience is good, but if a similar study had asked them about school, maybe it would have had the same result. Or sports teams. Or church.

Still, the report is a good reminder of some of what people find valuable about Scouting.

Oak Tree

To 'it's me,oak tree, kuda, and Eagle Mom.::: All of you are right, Souting is the best program in the world, if it was not, we would not be in it as volunteers. In my troop, after 30 years, I had boys that became doctors, ambasodor in Moscow. USSR. police men,Scoutmasters, Scout executive ,etc., and unfortunately two ended up in prison ( Something went wrong there ?)(ha,ha,) Scouting is not perfect, but for the most of it, we did manage to mold the majority into good citizens.Juris. www.

Eamonn, good point. Over the past 30 years (boy, do I feel old!), I've seen many good things come of Scouting. However, it's not stats that I use to measure anything. It is what those who were Scouts have said about how it helped them to be where they are today. Good dads, businessmen, and just plain good citizens in general. It seems that the lessons learned don't fade away. In fact, sometimes they just sort of take root, and it is years later that a man looks back and says, "I remember doing this in Scouts and it works today" (or something to that effect). Those who didn't finish Scouting for some reason often express regrets, and by finish, I mean left before aging out not necessarily by earning Eagle. They just know they missed out on something important, time that was valuable, and it leaves a void. The BSA is a wonderful program, and when it is followed, the youth benefit for many years to come. Pretty awesome stuff :)

As a Cubmaster who coaches sports and works with other coaches, I do not put sports on the same level as Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts.

A lot of coaches think they are equal to BSA, but when was the last time you heard a coach sit a group of boys down and talk about...

Being responsible on the school playgorund?

Practicing Leave No Trace and Respect for the environment?

Being involved in your faith?

Holding a door open for someone or just doing a good turn for others--coutesy, kind, etc.

Being trustworthy and honest- with your schoolwork and with your family?

Helping your family around the home and developing relationships?

Beign a good citizen and respect for your community and country?

No, most coaches push sportsmanship and fairplay on the field but there is very little effort off the field. I don't know of another program outside of the church that teaches basic values like the BSA. And that is the main reason why I am involved, to give young people the tools to make good life choices.

• 1 month later...

Part way through last year's school-year, I went in for PTC with my 4th-grader's teacher. After a bit of chit-chat, I let her know he's in Scouting. She grinned and said, "I can always tell which boys in my class are Scouts. They are better behaved, and just seem more advanced." That, coming from one whose career is working with kids, meant a lot. I may be pretty new, but I absolutely believe we make a difference.