a committe member "rant"

The past dicussion of Jerry, George and Cramer led to a committe member submitting the following:

My Personal Viewpoint Ted Jones(obvious psudonym)

Mandatory Meeting Attendance

Other Scout troops in the Capital Region have instituted or are considering a 50% mandatory attendance policy. Before any Scout will be considered for advancement (including Eagle), he must be present for half of the possible meetings in a running period ending on his date of review. For example, with Troop 1234 meeting two times per month, this would be 4 meetings spread over or concentrated in 4 months. Certainly, any Scout can arrange their schedule to meet this requirement. This also places the responsibility of troop participation in the hands of the Scout. If the Scout wants to advance, he must be an active and contributing part of the troop.

Some Scouts may not be anxious to step up to this schedule, flexible though it may be. For a serious young man seeking to be recognized by promotion, it would seem to be a trivial requirement.

Expectations of Older Scouts (especially Eagle candidates)

Younger boys and newer Scouts may merit certain consideration for their behavior based on their age and/or experience. This consideration does not apply to the older Scouts. Experienced Scouts must be held to a higher standard (the Oath?). It must be made clear to the older boys that, like it or not, they are the role models for the troop. The adults are probably considered to be a separate sub-species by most of the Scouts. This places the older boys in the role of leaders as to how a Scout should behave, treat his fellow troop members, and interact with the adult leadership.

Should: Listen while adults/other Scouts are speaking

Demonstrate willingness to help

Support Patrol leaders and adult supervision (without reluctance or attitude)

Should Not: Ignore younger troop members

Isolate themselves during troop activities/events

Speak to the younger/other Scouts with anything other than a friendly tone of voice

Leadership is by exampleWhat a great way for potential Eagle Scouts to demonstrate their skills, maturity, and patience by working with all of their fellow troop members.

Discipline in Ranks

The BSA is not a paramilitary organization. However, it is an organization that relies on structure and self-discipline. One of the strongest skills a young man must learn is to recognize when to keep his mouth shut and eyes forward. At every Scout gathering, other troops with both younger and older boys have demonstrated (at opening/closing ceremonies, council fires, award presentations, etc.) that they can listen quietly without talking to boy next to them, digging in the dirt, or swiveling their heads to look at everything other than what deserves their attention. This lack of focus is not demonstrated by other troops and should not be tolerated in Troop 1234 !

Inappropriate Behavior and Resulting Consequences

All Scouts should be made aware that serious violations of Scouting ethics and standards of behavior will be remembered and will result in consequences fitting the offense, up to and including being banned from outings or possibly being invited to leave the Troop.

Continued..

Expectations for Summer Camp

Perhaps there should be a mandatory meeting for all Scouts and at least one parent/guardian prior to summer camp. The younger/newer Scouts will learn what the week has in store for them. The following reminders would be for every camper:

Order: Scouts will be expected to listen to and respect the patrol leaders and adult supervision. Instructions, whether from a patrol leader or an adult, should merely serve to let the Scouts know that it is time to do what they already recognize needs to be done then get it done.

Attitude: If a Scout is going to act sullen or resentful, or act as if he would rather be somewhere else go somewhere else. Home is a cell phone call away. This kind of attitude drags down everyone unfortunate enough to be around the offender. A positive can-do, will-do attitude is a huge part of the Scouting experience and will make nearly any experience a positive one. It can also be contagious!

Behavior: Sloth Camp is a time of activity, opportunity, physical exertion and fun. Certainly a break or period of downtime during the day is earned by all Scouts. However, if your idea of camping or participation is staying in your tent every possible moment, camping outings are not your best choice.

Bullying While a certain amount or intensity of physical horseplay is healthy, no Scout should be intimidated by any fellow Troop member. The adult supervision will take appropriate action to squash this breach of respect - see Inappropriate Behavior.

Language - Many of the Scouts are at an age where they are experimenting with cursing, derogatory language and trading amazingly degrading insults. When choosing his language at any Scouting gathering/event, a Scout should apply the parent rule: Dont let any words pass your lips that you wouldnt say directly to your parent(s). Coarse language will be rewarded see Inappropriate Behavior.

Snacks/Food All food/soda brought by Scouts to a Scouting event shall become community property and will be stored in the chuckbox for all to enjoy at the appropriate time and location. No personal stashes beyond what will fit in ones pocket will be permitted. No eating will be allowed in the tents at any time. Campers will eat together and snack together in a communal area. Any Scout with special food restrictions may leave their groceries with an adult for safe keeping.

Following this policy will extend the life of the tents and draw the Scouts together for a common purpose.

Lights Out: Exactly what it says. No talking (especially between tents) and no leaving your tents. A fifteen minute notice for those who cant seem to keep track of time leaves ample opportunity to get themselves and their gear squared away for the night.

Personal Hygiene: Scout is Clean This does not mean bringing clean clothes and underwear to use as a pillow while wearing a single set of clothes for the entire week. Outfits (from the skin out) should be changed at least twice during the week. One shower or swim (mid-week?) should be mandatory. Preparation for lights out shall include brushing teeth and washing face and hands.

Camp Cleanliness: Trash - The great outdoors does not mean a trash bin with no walls. If you drop something, pick it up. If you see someone drop something, remind them to pick it up. If you see something on the ground, pick it up. Calling something biodegradable (food or paper) does not magically convert it from trash to fertilizer put it in the trashbag!

Clean Hands - Before handling or preparing food WASH YOUR HANDS. Although every Scout has heard this a million times, the dreaded Camp Amnesia and my hands arent that dirty prevails at outings.

Clean Up After every meal, all Scouts should be required to remain at the dining area until the area is clean all pots, pans griddles, etc. are washed and put away. This should encourage the Patrol cleaning up to shake a leg Any Scout that wants to leave earlier can feel free to pitch in to speed things up!

Are 12 thru 15 years old really this whacked???????

Here was my reply:

Having only observed the younger Scouts on one trip I don't have much to draw from.

However, as a parent of a future member I found nothing in the "rant" out of line with:

----the 12 points of the Scout Law

----common sense personal/unit hygine necessary to curb disease in the field

------manners needed to function in polite society

----things I'd have hoped I taught my kids to do from the age of 10

Kudos to Ted....you should rant more often.

The only "rule" I would add is that the Scouts treat unit property as they would property that belongs to them(after all it does)

Another general though:

Not being a military organization the Troop still counts on it's small unit leaders (in businessese that's middle management) - here Patrol leaders, APL and ASPL to carry out and "enforce" policies. Just as a Corporal or Sargeant says "put your helmet on it could save you life- ----change you socks or you'll get blisters", the Troop's Scout leadership needs to remind their charges that an appointment with a wash cloth is required. Have we told the PL's how the Committee or the Scoutmaster will back them if Toby Tenderfoot doesn't want to scrub pots when it is his turn.

If a Scout can't lead, should he hold a billet? Many fine soldiers and dependable Marines never become leaders. Some of the best sales reps don't go into management. Not all baseball players are team Captains.

All Scouts are supposed to have a chance at leadership but are we putting some in charge who haven't developed and cannot police themselves? What should be the criteria for being asked to give up a leadership position?

"Popularity" election of leaders almost lost the Civil War for the Union. How do we make sure those elected by their peers are ready to aid in the delivery of a good program?

Am I asking for too much?

If you could get though WAR and PEACE above does anybody have any other comments.

A wise old man said, "longest journey begin with first step."

Scouting has a variety of rules, such as those for advancing in rank and Guide to Safe Scouting. Personally, I'm not much in favor of trying to enforce blanket rules on Troops, SPLs or Scoutmasters beyond those already required by BSA. For example, my District organization has no such additional rules imposed on units that I can think of off hand.

This leaves lots of room for Patrol Leaders, Senior Patrol Leaders and Scoutmasters to decide for themselves what rules are suitable for their Troops, and I think that's the whole point. As Scouts discover weaknesses in their organization, they should be able to devise rules to improve things. If they are merely enforcing an elaborate set of rules someone else devised at some time in the past, they aren't getting the opportunity for leadership that devising your own rules provides.

Messy perhaps. But good for learning.

Seattle Pioneer

OK, so yes, the rant is all reasonable behavior and common sense. However, its the Scoutmaster and his staff who are responsible for running and implementing the program, and that includes setting standards of behavior and conduct. IMHO, though probably well-intentioned, this committee member is overstepping his/her bounds and intefering with the SM and his staff.

If a committee member from my troop had given me that info, I would have politely accepted it and then 'round filed' it.

I read all that unnecessary, unwanted and unwarranted dribble.

The thing that amazes me is how anyone can say:

"Kudos to Ted....you should rant more often."

As leaders we provide our Scouts with the information and show them the "How to". We are in the business of helping them to make choices. Not be mindless rule followers.

As to:

How do we make sure those elected by their peers are ready to aid in the delivery of a good program?

We train and support them. This is the number one role of the Scoutmaster.

However if he is so busy trying to enforce stupid rules, I doubt if he has time to deliver the real Scouting program. In fact I have very real concerns about the leadership ability of any of the adults in this unit.

Eamonn.

I read the rant, too. In its entirety.

I didn't like its tone. Not that there was really anything outside of the Scout Oath and Law because there wasn't (at least according to the way I read it.)

I did, IMHO notice one fundamental flaw in its philospophy -- these are Boy Scouts we're working with, not solidiers. We are in the business of teaching values, not rules, to the boys in our care. Showering once a week is a rule . . . not a value. Helping one's fellow man just because he can is a value.

One thing to remember about Boy Scouts -- no matter what their rank, or age, we're not done with them yet. They are the raw material in varying stages of development . . . and not yet the men we hope they will become.

The Kudo I can give to Ted is that it appears his heart is in the right place. His vector seems to be a little off.

Unc.

We also must remember that the boys are here voluntarily. They are not indentured servants or military recruits who, once they sign up, have no choice in being there. I can see a lot of boys saying "Who needs this?"