In place of a regular troop meeting, we went swimming at a nearby pool last night. That was a good, fun activity following a strenuous Camporee over the weekend.

We tested those able to pass or getting near to passing second class and first class swim reuqirements. Worked with non swimmers who needed encouragement to learn to float. Practiced the line, reaching and throwing rescues of the second class requirements, which boys, even the non swimmers, could participate in.

And since the reaching and throwing exercises were a little bit showy, they attracted other boys interested in trying it out, including one boy interested in joining the troop.

Finally, I began towing boys around the shallow end of the pool, which predictably attracted a bunch of new kids interested in being towed around as well.

Only an hour! Time was too short!

How often do other Troops go swimming? Any favorite games or activities?

Seattle Pioneer

Here in Troop 21 we try to have a "physical" meeting about every three months this could be at the indoor pool, climbing gym, bowling alley, or the gym, we will be having an pool meeting in a couple of weeks to do swim tests for summer camp.

We go to the Recreation Center of two different colleges every year. One in the Spring and one in the Fall. Beside swimming, we play racketball, basketball, dodgeball,etc. We always invite the Webelos. During the winter, we usually go to a local high school to swim once or twice. And sometimes on trips, usually on the way home, we will stop at a recreation center to take a swim. It is a great way to bring the scouts home clean!

We go to a local high school pool usually at least twice per year. We usually rent the pool for an hour for our exclusive use, and invite family members. We also use the time to let 2nd and 1st class candidates meet their swimming requirements out side of summer camp. It is always a fun event.

I hadn't thought about swimming during an open swim though. The idea that some of the activities would attract interest from other boys, potential recruits intrigues me.

SA

We go to the local Y Indoor pool at least twice a year. Once in the winter, just to mix things up a bit. The other time is coming up at the end of May. We'll have a lifeguard work with new scouts on strokes required for swimming test. Older guys who are taking lifesaving will practice for camp. Others just play in the free swim area.

Our Troop 21 in Northern New York goes swiming in Pool during winter atleast every other month. Plus we do our begining Canoe Training inn the High School Pool. We usually do this in the early spring when it would be impossible to do it in a lake due to water temprature. It works good as you can flip canoes and right them and not worry about hypothermia.

"Please remember that all swimming activity must be supervised by someone who has been trained in BSA Safe Swim Defense."

Would this be the case when swimming at a municipal pool with a lifeguard? I just took the online Safe Swim Defense course, and the focus is almost completely on lake swimming, etc.--there really is no discussion of swimming someplace like a municipal pool.

There's no limitation that excludes pools from the requirements of the safe swim defense.

When we went to this well run, pool run by the Seattle Parks Department, I mentally ran through the safe swim defense requirements.

I'm trained, and the pool provided trained lookouts and lifeguards, so that was covered.

First class and higher Scouts had all been qualified as swimmers at some point. I didn't make a point of retesting them.

I hadn't been tested, so I took the first class swim test with the SPL given the opportunity to review my performance as an adult.

I identified one non swimmer, who worked on floating and basic skills with the Scoutmaster, and later practiced the reaching & throwing Second class lifesaving skills.

The depth of the water was marked out, and no underwater obsttructions.

I tested two junior Scouts who passed the Second Class requirements as beginners. They were strong enough and confident enough that I didn't make an effort to restrict them from swimming in the deeper parts of the pool or using the diving board ---which compromised the SSD standards in a way that didn't offend me.

We didn't make a point of using the buddy system. Several people, including myself and the SPL were swimming without buddies. This compromised the SSD but the high level of supervision caused me not to worry about it. The two beginners are close friends who stick together like glue.

We didn't have permission slips for this activity nor did we have medical histories for this activity. No trip permit was filed.

So there was room for improvement. The most important things neglected in my view were obtaining permission slips and filing a trip permit. If we'd had a permission slip it would have included a standard inquiry about a Scout's health.

Seattle Pioneer