Working away is preventing the Troop from meeting

My work has and will be keeping me from home on the regular meeting nights a lot over the next three months.

I am the only Scouter in the Troop qualified to run meetings. Our system does not allow the other uniformed adults to do so without more training which they cannot attend due to their own (over)work.

We are pursueing the long term solution of finding another adult to do the training but the problem is with the here and now.

Weekend camps are still viable as planned.

Patrol activities are possible in lieu of Troop meetings.

I intend to throw the problem over to the PLC. Suggestions for how to deal with not having many Troop meetings would be gratefully recieved on their behalf.

Oz,

I will take your word on the rules for running a meeting down under as stated. Until I read your location I was going to say have them meet with your other leaders as normal and let the SPL run the meeting. If this is not possible due to the rules then consider moving the meeting dates to fit your schedule or pair up with a near by troop and share leadership for a couple of meetings, could be a lot of fun.

Get those other leaders trained ASAP.

Hmmm - novel idea not allowing troops to meet without trained leaders present.

Our troop only gets the hall for 3 nights a month and worse than that, It's Monday night so we miss meetings for about half a dozen meetings each year. To make up for it, we hold "Special Meetings". Could be anything, swiming at the YMCA, bowling, party at a Mexican restaurant, few hours at the river, visit to the fire house, State police Baracks, water sking on my sisters boat or just a BBQ on the SM's deck.

Could be any night of the week based on where/what we are doing. Some times it's based on advancement (Swimming, visit to State Capitol), other times it's just because.

Keeps things from getting dull.

anarchist yes it is an Aussie thing. Patrol events without ANY adults are OK but not Troop events which require adult supervision. SPLś do not exist here either. In fact Scouts 15 years and over leave the Troop and progress onto Venturers and we never see them again. Maybe that is the reason.

Great ideas wingnut and PNScouter.

Other local Troops are in a woefull position. We are the biggest around and that is for good reason. Adult leadership in other Troops may not be helpful. The two closest Troops have joined for lack of kids reasons. But we will look into some joint things. Thanks for the prompt - I had failed to consider the other Troops at all.

Really like the ideas in your post wingnut and Patrols can do this with some organisational assistance from ASMś.