Add one more "Participate in" Requirement to each rank

Just for fun. If we were going to "Bump Up" the challenges, fun and the adventure of the Boy Scout Program by adding a " While a (FILL IN RANK) Participate in a ...... (Name the Activity.

What activities would you have our Scouts participate in?

For now let's not worry about Scouts who can't do things for one reason or another. Just stuff that a normal everyday (If there ever was such an animal??)Scout could do.

The words to remember are: Fun, Adventure and challenge.

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

How about if I just take what you have already come up with...

" While a (FILL IN RANK) Participate in a Fun, Adventurous and challenging Event"

Then leave a line forthe scout to fill in the event he used for the requirement.

FS - I would prefer "one patrol activity (sans adults)". I'd be happy if our patrols would organize anything (hike, field trip, game day, etc.).

Others:

" While a (FILL IN RANK) ....

... teach a basic scout skill to a first year scout, Cub Scout or Webelos Scout".

... participate in the planning of an event".

... organize and lead my patrol in a game".

... invite a friend to a scout meeting or activity".

... (going back to the B-P years) earn $1 (okay, so we would need to increase the amount, maybe $25?)".

Participate in:

A winter sport or activity.

Visit a local theme park.

A night hike.

Building a monkey bridge.

A high adventure activity.

Plan and give leadership to one of the above for a Patrol or Troop.

Eamonn.

• 2 months later...

An actual percentage rate for how many meetings and events you much attend.

This is left up to the individual troops to come up with.

One example I have (this was actually about an OA qualification, not regular troop...). I am now advancement chair since my husband took over SM duties. I was asked for a list of which Scouts had 15 nights of camping over 2 years. We have one kid who was very active one year, but since then stopped being active. Last year: 6 nights of camping, and that was from summer camp. No other camping! He hasn't gone camping at all this year. But he is still eligible for the "honor camper" organization as long as the boys vote for him! I have gone around and around with the men on this one, and told "This may be what he needs." Hmmm. I don't think so. Anyhow, any kind of advancement, percentages would help. I have seen too many get bumped up when they don't show up at meetings. If you make it easy, they don't learn anything. They just expect something for nothing.

I've always wanted to add something like 'Spirit Beads' (or points, woggles, etc.)

Spirit beads would be earned for doing stuff above and beyond the usual program. Some would be earned by individuals, others by den/patrol. They can come up with the idea (and get it approved) or use one from a list of possibilities. Each rank would require 'X' number of Spirit Beads.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see anyone after second class look over one of the original books and choose an activity they have never seen in the current book, submit it for approval, then teach it back to a patrol. The old books have lots of great stuff in them, but most boys never see them. The books from B-P days are great reading for my son.

...participate in at least one Scouter Forum on any one of the following...the ethicality of following rules...allowing gays membership in the BSA...what is the meaning of 'actively participates'...the necessity for troop bylaws...

Talk about fun and adventure...what more could a scout want.