being a Scout only when at scouts

Okay, the following happened to me about a week ago, and it is still bugging me. Should it still be bothering me, or should I just be over it? (sorry if it is a bit of a rant)

Okay, so I was at a curling tournament (you know, the sport where you push those stones to a circle, kind of like shuffleboard). So, anyway, I was on the same time as this other kid, john, who I had never met before (he was about 12). I found out he was a scout, and had just earned tenderfoot and was just about 2nd class. While we were curling, he started to say something mean to another person, about missing there shot (not that he was making any of his shots). So I went up to him, and our conversation went about like this:

me-hey, john, what is the 5th point of the scout law

john- (counts to five on his fingers) courteous

me- and was that remark courteous

john- (shrugs shoulder)

me- every meeting you say the scout law an promise to do those things don't you?

john-yeah, but I don't know what it means, so it doesn't apply to me.

me- well, why do you say it if you don't know what it means?

john- this isn't scouts so it doesn't matter

me- to get to tenderfoot you have to pass a requirement saying that you will do this in your everyday life.

john-well, I am second-class now, so the tenderfoot requirements don't apply anymore

me- there is the same requirement for second class too.

The conversation was ended there because of a need to continue the game. So, am I over-reacting by being annoyed by this?

Thanks,

Eric

ASPL

Eric,

I don't think you are overreacting by being annoyed. That's just something that happens - we're human and we have emotions. I would ask myself, though, if holding onto that annoyance is making a difference in the world - either to you, to John, or to anybody else. It probably isn't. What DOES make a difference in the world is that YOU live the scout law on a daily basis. You undoubtably gave John some food for thought, and although he may not have "gotten it" right then and there, hopefully he will think twice before he speaks unkind words next time. And maybe - just maybe - as he matures and continues his scouting journey, he, too, will take the time to counsel another young scout in what it means to live the scout law.

BUG

meamemg,

Let it go. There are many boys in scouting that do not see the things that you see and understand the things that you understand. And there are many adults in scouting that are just plain rude and inconsiderate too. Scouting is but a reflection of our society. Happy curling!

SemperParatus...

leave me out of this!

meamemg...Don't let it go...use it. That boy may or may not find his way in scouting (and life)... but he did give you a lesson to use for boys in the future! Scout Master Minute or just instructional for the boys you meet along the scouting trail...

most likely he was just being a boy...mouthing off 'cause he was embarrassed buy being 'caught'...that part you can let go of...

When I was 17, I was a life scout,but I didnt really care.

I had a cool car & girls. Then I got into some trouble with the law(I turned 18 & it cost me 15 mos-3 years).

Now,Im 36, & I try to live up to the scout law & my own ethics

every day. I am an ASM,Tiger cub leader. You do Your Best.

Hopefully,He'll straighten out,but you became a better scout

Last night, my scoutmaster's minute was based on something that happened this weekend. I didn't tell it to brag, but to point out what happens when you act like a scout in your everyday life.

We're in the process of selling our house. Sunday we received an offer on it. While showing the house, we've been telling everyone that a partitular door was going to be replaced. Our dog did a number on it a couple of years ago and it's in pretty bad shape. Now, any good realtor knows that you spell out anything like that in the offer. They did not. My realtor said to me that he knew I wouldn't do this, but he felt obligated to tell me, that we were under no obligation to replace the door.

I appreciated the fact that he told me what my rights were. And, that he "offered" me a way of saving nearly $2000. But what I appreciated more was the fact that he said he knew I wouldn't do that. You see, if you live by the scout oath and law, you will develop a reputation. One you can be proud of.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just wanted to throw in that I think kids joke around a lot with each other, even with things that sound mean (I still do to this day, but only in trivial things like college games that have no great reward at the end except for the point that I've won). However, I don't know what was said, or the context, so that's as far as I'll take that. The fact that the scout (John, I think it was) gave ignorance as an excuse is intolerable. There's scout troops where kids will get promoted really quickly, and then be forced to struggle near the end, and all they have learned is that mistakes will come first. Then there's troops where you have to work for your respect from the beginning (MINE!), and learn early on that nothing good comes easily. I will personally sit with a scout for hours on end, if needs be, to get him to memorize and understand the Scout Oath and Law, and to respect them.

-Everything For Being Prepared