The 13th Point of the Scout Law?

I always use that question at Eagle Boards of Review, usually with well thought out answers. Last year, one evening I got a phone call, Mr GreyEagle, a familiar scoutmaster's voice rang, arent you supposed to be here for a Eagle Board of Review,? Oh no I said, thats next week. Well, the Scoutmaster says, I have it down as tonight. I checked my calender and sure enough, it was that night. So, I fly into my uniform and get over to the Board, luckily it was close and I was maybe 20 minutes late. We conduct the meeting, talk about his scouting career, what he loved, what he had trouble with and I ask, what would be your 13th point? So, his answer, which came quite quickly so I know he didnt just think of it, "Punctual", I turned red, the kid turned purple and the other attendees turned the place upside down. The scout was effusive in apologies, but I told him, it was I who needed to apologize to him. Will never forget that one

LOL!!

One of my favorite answers was Persistent. The scout had learned about Abraham Lincoln in his US History class and he proceeded to tell me how many time ol' Abe had been a total failure, in school, in business, in politics, until he was elected President. Sharp kid.

After some of our scouts did some boneheaded things on a winter camp a couple of years ago our troop added our own unofficial 13th point, it being 'Don't be an Idiot.' It was some gentle ribbing by the leaders towards the boys, no it WAS NOT hazing, and it seemed to at least make them more cognizant of their actions for a while.

Ken

A Boy Scout will Listen.

The new and improved 20 point Scout Law:

A scout is Trustworthy, Responsible, Persistent, Smart, Loyal, Perseveres, Helpful, Hungry, Friendly, Listens, Courteous, Punctual, Selfless, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

A SCOUT IS GOOD.

So simple, yet so appropriate.

But if you all want a more specific response:

Persistent sounds good. A good word that comes to mind would be "active," but that seems to have too broad a range of applications. Yeah, persistent would probably be my choice (although hungry does have its uses...).

Maybe careful could be of some value. I've seen many a scout get hurt or hurt someone else because he wasn't careful in what he was doing or saying.

Is there a word which sums up an overall concept of striving for self-improvement? Not perfectionism, but something else...like constantly striving to better live the points of the law to be a better scout.

Bear -

my own sons when they repeat the laws to themselves on the way to scout camp add hungary and poor. I think they are anticipating their finacial situation in regards to visiting the trading post. (slushies and nachoes are a welsome treat on a hot day) I myself whisper the word handsom when I see a troop lined up with full class A's.

spinnaker

Our troop meetings are held in a classroom and after we're done, we have to put away all the troop stuff and get the room ready for the next day. We always close our meetings with a SM minute and the the SPL asks everyone to join him in reciting the Scout Oath or Scout Law. He then reminds everyone to "Stack your Chairs!"

Inevitably, in our troop the 13th point is ... you guessed it!