RRRRIIIIPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the deep recesses of my mind, I remember the practice of tearing off a corner of the Totin' Chip and Firem'n Chit when a scout broke the rules for wood tools/fire safety. After four tears, the privilege was lost and the scout had to go through remedial training to get a new card.

Is this still a common practice?

Just as an aside, can anybody find a reference in any BSA publications that talk about the removing of a corner of the totin' chip?

as far as the trangressions go, what constitutes a 1, 2, 3 or 4 corner offense ? Not clearing a safety circle while whittling may be one corner while heaving an axe at a fellow scout has to be 4, or perhaps expulsion from the troop. What are the limits of the corners anyway ?

Several free violations before a consequence seems very lax. I confiscate the card, plus the knife, ax, or other tool, and revoke the boy's woods tools privledges for the duration of the campout. Back home, he needs to convince me or an SA that he knows the rules and why they must be followed, etc. Then he may have his card back.

This is an often repeated topic on this forum.

I believe the card is an indication that the Scout has learned the rules (front) and agrees to abide by them (back). Nothing more, nothing less. I always ask to see their cards when they ask to use wood tools and if it is not signed by them on the back my answer is no.

In the requirements book, it states that "The Scout's "Totin' Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility." Now, my interpretation is that as SM, I have the power to remove the Totin' Rights from a Scout but once the card is earned it is the Scouts and just like I have no right to destroy any other property of the Scout, I do not and should not tear or rip his Totin' Chip (or Firem'n Chit) cards. I have removed knives from Scouts too if safety of others were an issue.

Good one, Fscouter. We abandoned the practice years ago when we noticed the huge pile of litter we had to dispose of. Seriously, if the boy learned the correct handling and use once, all that is needed is some constructive reminders, perhaps have him help teach the new scouts so he can remember better in the future.

Scouts in our troop start out with one corner torn off. 3 strikes and the scout needs to get a new card.

It's a tradition in our troop that the scouts perpetuate. Senior scouts also remove corners as they see fit.

I've not heard any grumblings about the practice and I have asked a few times. Scouts do tend to guard their last corner pretty well. :-)

Paul

I don't take corners. I usually reinforce the rules and ask for their help with other scouts too. Putting them into the next training session. Having a law enforcement background, I wouldn't cut corners off your drivers license for speeding. A fine or harsh verbal warning is sometimes the right action.

I really like Double Eagle's way of thinking on this one.

I'm not going to get drawn into another long debate about rules. I think that we don't have to look very hard to see which Scout Law covers this. I can see if a Lad is messing up that he might be a candidate for training or re-training.

The list of sins that might or could be committed is way to big for any rule book to cover every sin. I can see that there might be Scouts who are doing something that could be fixed with a look and then there are things that might need to be looked at by the committee.

Eamonn

• 2 months later...

Had a young Scout who had "Lost" his Totenchip and firemchip before the last campout.

As luck would have it, we had a new Partol of Scouts needing training on these cards; quess who taught them and re-earned his!

Bet he will keep better track of them in the future!