hi i got my eagle rank about 2 months back and tonight i got to become a ASM i am looking for ideas to do with my room cause most of them still feel like i am a member of the troop sence i have been in the troop all but 1 year of it existing. any1 got any ideas???

plz and thanks

Congratulations! I am not sure what the 'room' reference is about. So I am guessing that you are asking for ideas about how to make the transition from scout to scouter. Here are a few ideas:

1. Ask the SM if you can do some SM conferences (many troops allow ASM to do these).

2. Volunteer to act as an adult trip leader for an upcoming trip.

3. Serve as the advisor to the New Scout Patrol since you are 'closer to the action' then the other adult leaders.

4. Act as an adult mentor for scouts holding junior leader positions.

5. Sit in a rocking chair in the back of the room (the scouts should instantly recognize you as an ASM).

6. Attend SM staff meetings and offer your suggestions, attend Committee meetings if your troop committee is open to SM/ASMs.

7. Grow a mustache (or better yet a beard), the new kids coming in that don't know you will think you are just another 'old guy'.

8. Insist that the other adults treat you as an adult leader, not a scout. Consider adding Mr. to your name.

I apologize if you are asking something about a room. Good luck.

I recommend having a talk with the Green Bars, probably at a PLC meeting. What you're going through is a transition from one role to another. That's no different from what the Scouts go through when they transition from "one of the boys" to "in charge of the boys". If anyone can, they'll understand and should be willing to help clarify your role with the rest of the Troop.

KS

I made that transition myself just about 3 years ago. I know how you feel. The hard part is the older Scouts that are nearest to your age, or at least that was the case with me. Fortunately, most of them will be able to understand what the change means if you (or perhaps the SM) explain this to them. It should be a little more than simply saying you are an adult now, it should explain what your role in the troop is.

Speaking of which, you need to have a chat with your SM about exactly what he wants and needs for you to do. At the same time you could volunteer for what you think would work best for you, and discuss your future in the troop. Also, talk about training.

Start getting trained. Take Youth Protection Training, Boy Scout Fast Start Training, and then get to the next New Leader Essentials you can find (usually offered by the district or council).

Training Survey

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/training/start.jsp

Youth Protection Training

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/ypt/ypt.jsp

Boy Scout Fast Start

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/faststart/

Also, you need a copy of the Scoutmaster Handbook, and once you have it, you should start reading it.