A Word to the Youth ...

I would like to address the Boy Scout youth that frequent this forum, whether registered or lurker, I want you to consider something. (BTW adults can read the following, but remember, its not directed to you)

Next week its going to be Thanksgiving which will plow straight into the Holiday Season and then its New Years and then pretty awful soon it will be Blue and Gold time. To you this may seem like a long way off, but it will be here very soon. I mention this because Blue and Gold Dinners traditionally mean Webelos crossing over into Boy Scouts so very soon after the first of the year you will be seeing new scouts at your meetings. Be sure to be friendly, courteous and kind to them, but I ask one thing more.

Remember back to when you joined the troop. You may have been a little scared, maybe at least unsure, think back to that time. You saw the older cooler kids walking/running around, everybody knew everybodys name and knew where to stand., how to act, etc. You might have wished you were that old and experienced. I am sure you saw an older scout who you thought, now theres a real scout, thats a guy who has it together, I want to be like him. And I am sure you also saw some other older scouts who you thought, why do they let him in, why does he even come to the meetings?

Well, now you are the older/cooler kids. Even if you just crossed over last year, you have 12 months experience on the new guys. You now have a choice to make. Will you be seen as a scout who has it altogether? a scout the new guys will want to imitate, or will you be the kind that the new guys question why you even show up at all ?

Being a role model doesnt start when you are an adult, an Eagle Scout or even the Senior Patrol Leader, you are right now a role model. Do you want to be a good representative of scouting or an example of a poor scout ? There is no opting out, You are a Role Model!

Well Said!!!!

It would be a good idea for the adult leadership to take your message to heart as well. Remember, we are their to help mold them not to expect perfect scoutlike behavior from day one. Also, don't forget the parents of these new Scouts. It is a time of transition for them as well.