Events where every kid gets an award

I'd like to hear opinions on the practice of planning events so that every single scout that participates gets an "award". Personally, I think it's a bad idea but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

At last year's Pinewood Derby they did this, even going to the point of inventing a "Boo-Yah Award" to give one kid for his car. The kid knew exactly how worthless the "award" was and got upset (probably more than if he had gotten no award at all). What point does it serve?

Think the folks doing pinewood needed a BOO-YAH Award or is that 'bogus award' (was gona use better term but didn't want to be blocked)....

I am definitely negative on the 'junior soccer syndrome'...giving every one a trophy!

Saying that, I should note that the pack I help with...(my boys are long gone to B.S. troop), does get somewhat hyper with derby awards....

We start by giving a 'participation' ribbon...do some work get a ribbon...but it stops there. It is given when they register so everyone knows it is not a 'feel good cause you lost' award...

But trophys, pins and patches go to the performance or workmanship catagories (or as some folks say, the dadship awards). We also give two sets of awards: first by breaking the pack down into den/age groups Tigers, wolves, bears etc giving the first 4 places, from each rank level, ribbons. First and second for each 'rank' heat go into the finals. Third and fourth go to a consulation heat so they can race a bit more with the others. The winners (1-2) of the consul. heats get a 'back door/wild card slot' into the finals.

This can only work in small packs unless you want to spend half a year on the derby...Finalists (top twelve get patches) final heat of six get ribbons and the top four get metals and car stands.... all of this results in about a third of the pack getting some kind of award (we also have 'beauty' contest (best appearance)for each age level before the races.

Our rational for this is there are enough 'prizes' being given out so each boy can see that we have more than just a few winners...There are lots of opportunities at different levels, EACH YEAR to succeed. But it also shows these boys that many scouts will not 'win' and the boys see all kinds of reaction to losing as well as winning...(read "TEACHING MOMENT" here!).

be interested to see how this thread blossoms

I hate the "give everyone a trophy" syndrome as well. However, for events like Pinewood Derby, I do like seeimg some kind of recongition for participation. Think about it, we've been giving "participation awards" for decades, it's not a result of soccer. For example, a Boy Scout troop goes to summer camp or a camporee, each boy gets a patch.

Our pack gives a variety of "fun awards" instead of a participation ribbon. They range from "best paint job" to "best use of a block of wood". These are meant to be fun and to give every boy something. You should see how excited the younger ones get over something so simple! On the flip side, I have had some older scouts be upset over some of these. But they just need to get over it.

So, I'm not for these participation awards for every occasion. However, I do support the idea of doing it at a big event such as the PW Derby.

Participation ribbons (or "Derby" patches or certificates or "segments" or whatever) are fine. It's those goofy "made-up" awards that the kids see through.

If you're really set on them, make them up ahead of time and let the kids know they'll be awarded - I guarantee the kids will open your eyes and show you how they feel about "Booyah" awards!! Even the Tigers will see them for what they're worth.

The "beauty" awards are OK if they're kept to a minimum and categorized by grade/rank.

My real concern is the three-foot tall winner's trophy!!! Yikes!!! Gonna stop that one in its tracks this year!

I like Anarchist's plan! We use the "segment" program, but give the full-blown Derby patch to every participant (for every Derby). This year I'm gonna pitch for the segments as participation awards for everyone and limit the "Derby" patches like Anarchist does.

jd(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

I think the older the boys get, the more sensitive their BS meters are -- they'll detect a meaningless award at 100 yards.

For Boy Scout age lads and up, "I was there" patches are enough, but I like a quality T-shirt, too, to build up the summer camp and gym wardrobe. I think patrol flag ribbons are important too -- boys keep score, and they want to know how they did. As a byproduct, I want to know where their skills, teamwork, problem solving, etc., are as well.

KS

I was adamant that we not make every pack meeting a time to award something to every boy. What we have done for a year now is to focus on having fun and having ceremonies for advancements every time one or more advancements is earned and awarding other items to those who earned them. Two things have happened: the boys who were awarded what they earned see that it's special, and the other boys set goals to earn what the others got.

The Pinewood derby and raingutter regatta (we just had our first--very cool!) and Cub-anapolis are treated differently. There are awards for first, second, and third place. There are then participation awards. These tend to be very similar, but it's been a positive experience so far. For the specials (best decorated, etc), it was suggested that enough be made that every boy would win one. I was the spoil sport again, and when only a few boys earned this type of award, they were fine with it. The problem with derbies like this is that the boys are at different stages of practicing good sportsmanship. I stress that the participation awards are for demonstrating "doing your best" and "good sportsmanship". It ends the day on a positive note, particularly when some struggled really hard with being good sports (I think of those eliminated early on who have to watch for awhile).

We have very few Cubs, can afford to make/purchase soemthing so that every boy has something in hand at times, but it is very important--IMO--to define the why of doing that.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is how we handle our Derby:

Everyone gets a car display plaque with the Pack number and year on it.

We give medals to the 3 fastest in each rank and a plaque or trophy to the 3 fastest over all

We give medals to the 3 best designs

and a best car trophy for the the car that most looks like it was built by a boy (not my favorite award, but my CM insists on this one.

We do give out some certificates that are made up on the spot. They are for cars that deserve SOMETHING, but didn't win one of the other awards.

There is nothing at all wrong with giving something for participation. Its not an award though, and shouldn't be treated as such.

Shane

(This message has been edited by Sylvar)

"We do give out some certificates that are made up on the spot. They are for cars that deserve SOMETHING, but didn't win one of the other awards."

Shane, can you give an example? Who decides which cars deserve something but didn't win? What's the criteria? How many?

Thanks,

jd

JD,

Sometimes it has been as simple as "Best Paint Job" or "Best Driver" other times its more of a "Most Creative Use of Materials" moment. We have 3 judges usually. Design medals are awarded based on a combination of shape. finish and concept. A certificate might be awarded where a scout was strong in one catagory but weak in others. A good example is one year one of our more artistic scouts painted an original cartoon figure and designs on his car. It really was very nice, but the car itself was just a wedge so he got very few points for the shape. He got a certificate for "Most Original Paint Job". Was it made up on the spot? Yes.... was it appropriate? YES! There are those who say certificates are meaningless, but they don't have to be. Just don't give one out for no reason.

More on Judging. Myself, I form my own opinions, but I also like to hang back and see the scouts reactions. Those cars which get a high "COOOOL!" factor from the boys are the ones that really deserve to win.

Shane

Back in my days as a DL, I had a parent suggest that I should not hand out the "Cuboree" patches until after the meeting so that the two boys that were absent did not "feel bad". I seriously doubt that anyone reading this would have objected to my reaction of "no way!".

In my Den, out boys all progressed in rank together. This seems to be fairly normal since boys are grouped by age and the program is very adult driven. This can create problems of understanding particularly with parents when cubs cross over into a troop. One of my former cubs' parent (mom) had a virtual fit at the first Court of Honor (after the cross over to Scouts), when her son did not get his Tenderfoot rank, like the other 4 boys that joined at the same time.

I refrence these examples to demontrate how prevalant this mentality has become.

CE