Boy Scout Joining Age

there was a recent change that added the minimum age for earning AOL. In addition to time you must be a minimum of 10 yrs old now.

That is not true. AOL requirement 1 is as follows:

Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge.

This means that if a boy completes the fourth grade a year earlier than normal (age 9) he could earn his AOL before his 10th birthday. If that is the case, he will have to wait until he turns ten before joining Boy Scouts.

SWScouter

We have opposing statements of fact. A boy must be 10. A boy need not be 10. For the benefit of inquiring minds, would you all (SWScouter, nldscout, BobWhite) be willing to cite your sources such that the rest of us can determine what is truly correct? It can't be both ways. Or can it?

My advice (which I follow myself) is to get rid of your Boy Scout Applications every August and replenish your supply with fresh ones at the Scout office.

It seems like they get revised all the time. I've also been told that the council doesn't pay for those. National does. Somehow, I don't feel so bad throwing out the old ones once I found that out.

It seems like it takes forever for old forms in the BSA to disapear, but that's a topic for a different thread.

According to the fresh application I have in front of me, on the inside front cover, it says, "Parent Information. Your son can be a Scout if he has completed the 5th grade, or is 11 years old, or has earned the Arrow of Light Award, but is not yet reached 18."

On a side note, I think it's interesting that most Scout leaders and parents disregard or don't ever read the inside cover of the Boy Scout application.

In fact, I think I'll start a spin-off . . .

Unc.

Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge.

The above is a direct quote of Arrow of Light requirement 1 from the most recent version of the Webelos Handbook.

The changes to the Boy Scout joining requirements, i.e., that the Boy must be at least 10 years old can be found in a recent issue of Scouter magazine. I apologize that I don't have it here with me to properly cite.

SWScouter(This message has been edited by SWScouter)(This message has been edited by SWScouter)

Time to doff my hat and bow to SW --

SW is correct. My appications aged while I wasn't watching them at their residence in the trunk of my car.

Even your old uncle can be wrong once in a while.

Time for a refill of my forms.

Unc.