I held training for our troops new junior leaders today. Everything went about the way I figured they would till lunch. Had all the ingredients in different bags, each boy selected one. I waited for the initial "hey I got lettuce or mines just buns" but they never came. The boys started bartering with each other as if they were in the cafeteria at school. They then started sharing with each other and we had a good lunch. I was caught flat-footed by this because the transition was seemless, and I never got to utter a word.

During the reflection I asked them if they had seen or done this all before and everyone of them said they hadn't, but that at lunch time every day they do swap or share food with each other. I then realized these guys have been doing this every day for over two years.

My question is has anyone ever ran into this situation before?

I haven't seen that particular response. Last year, the boys caught on pretty quick to what was happening. I'll never forget listening from the hallway when one boy shouted "Hey, I got cookies!!!".

This year we did it a little different. We sent them into the room for lunch and it all in a box and a cooler. They had to sort through it, figure out what was what, and set up the lunch. It was equally (if not more so) effective.

We just had a Troop JLT a couple of weeks back. Our lunch had a similar reaction, they just started swapping.

We did have a little friction come up when we had six cans of Hawaiian Punch and six pouches of Capri Sun fruit juice in one bag. The Hawaiian Punch went real fast and the Capri Sun guys felt slighted. We also had six Twinkies and six Ding Dongs in a bag. Everyone wanted the Ding Dongs.

We were able come up with some good talk and reflections based upon these two situations. May have to do this with more bags next time.