"It'll only take a minute"

I wasn't sure where this should go, so I stuck it in "working with kids".

So I'm back in Korea for a month, and these last few days are at the air base where I used to live. I'm driving back to my room on Wednesday night, and as I glanced at the time, I remembered that my old Troop met on Wednesdays, and they had about 15 minutes of meeting left. I was curious as to how they were doing, wondered if any of the lads were still there, and flipped on my turn signal to climb the hill up to the Scout hut. I don't know what made me think of them at that moment, but it was a narrow driveway, and there was no turning back.

There were lights on in the hut, so I made my way down the sidewalk, opened the door, and walked inside. I immediately saw one of the boys I saw cross over from Cubs, now wearing an SPL patch. And another, who was about 5-foot-nothing before, and now looked me level in the eye. After their initial shock, I told them why I was back, and for how long. Their SM was way more happy to meet me than I thought he should have been, then he told me why.

They had a BOR scheduled for that night, but didn't have enough adults on hand who could do it. If they couldn't muster 3 people, several Scouts would have to wait as many months for the next Court of Honor. He and their committee chair asked me if I would sit in. Of course, I agreed, and got to meet three wonderful young men who more than deserve the rank advancement they'll receive at their Court of Honor next week.

Afterward, the SM told me that just minutes before I walked in, he silently prayed that somebody would show up who could help them conduct their BOR. I don't know that I've ever been the answer to somebody's prayer, but one thing's for sure: that little voice is usually right, and I'm going to keep listening to it.

It'll sure be nice to go home next week...

KS

I at times remind Her That Must Be Obeyed, that I'm the answer to her prayer. Strange thing is that while we make light of it and make a joke about it, as we grow older and get nearer to middle age -Whatever that might be? It seems to become more apparent that it is true.

How come a kid from London met a Lass from Pennsylvania at a Boy Scout Camp?

That Great Scoutmaster in the sky, does his best to Train us, Trust us and let us lead, but I think at times he might be guilty of giving us the odd nudge.

While I'm certain that going home is the best. Now you have something that you can bring with you. You can't see it smell it or touch it but it's your's.

Eamonn.

I have absolutely not doubt and absolute faith that the "little voice" we all hear on occasion, comes from a source far, far bigger than ourselves. Most of the time the force is Good.

It is a shame that not everyone can hear it and that some choose to ignore it's existance.

Bless you!

Unc.