Had to post this story...

Last night I was conducting a Board of Review for Life with a 15 year old Scout. As we were starting the review, I asked what Point in the Scout Law has the most meaning to him at 15. He answered Trustworthy. As the Board and the Scout began discussing issues around Trustworthy, I made a comment something like, "for instance, if a 15 year old Scout knew he had cheated on a test at school, he probably wouldn't even be requesting a Board of Review". I pulled the comment out of thin air, and I could have said anything instead of using the example of cheating.

But with a few gulps and some sweaty palms, the Scout asked if we could postpone the review for a while. I asked if he was feeling well, and he said he was fine, but it seemed obvious I hit a raw nerve.

I can't tell you how impressed I am that a boy who may have cheated on a test 3 months ago (schools' not quite back in session here, so if he did, it was last school year), but then recognize the conflict that causes and decide to fix the problem instead of continue. If one of the goals of Scouting is to develop young men of high character, it's great to see we're on the right track with at least one boy.

Sorry to spend your time on something that may be of interest only to me. But it's another one of those little things that has me so jacked up about BSA.

BTW, I am off to the first of two weekends of Woodbadge on Friday morning. Wish me luck!

Mark

I'm going to share this with our Troop Committee. They still struggle with the BOR concept. They end up looking more like a retest than what they are supposed to be. I've explained to the idea of "getting into the head" of the scout and understanding what his motives and dreams are. You obviously stumbled on a negative trait that he feels responsible for. He will be better for the experience. Great story.