This Spin-off came from another post from a disgruntled Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badge Counselor. He/She wanted recognition for a job well done and deservedly so. Since the individual is upset about being overlooked and seeing the name of the MB that is represented, I thought we should reconsider our lack of appreciation efforts.

(*no threats were made- just kidding, really, ha, ha)

Given the number of knots that exist and given the lack of space on a shirt, does it make sense to continue adding knots for every service, since there are already patches for many of these things already? (*Of course, we should have at least one for our Rifle and Shotgun MB Counselor!)

I have a couple of trunks of recognitions from over the years. I periodically have to reduce the inventory or I would need to add another wing onto the house just for storage. I get rid of the sacred pieces of burnt firewood and jars of ashes from the everlasting campfires because there just simply isn't any more room. I guess that is another problem. I really like the certificates that I can put into a clear plastic slide holder and insert them into a 3 ring notebook. I also like the letters that are handwritten from friends that I have worked with over the years. I wished I had more just to be able to remember all of the great events and people. If I tried to put all of the certificates on the wall, then I would need that wing that I told you about, so into the binder they go.

Well, that brings me full circle to asking for input on this issue. Should we have more Square Knots? What services should get a Square Knot? Should we have a Square Knot for patches that already exist? You might go ahead and insert some requirements for some of those knots.

FB

FB,

I must agree with the poster from the original thread. The Cub program has gone a bit overboard. There are three separate Den leader knots available. One would do just fine.

In the Boy Scout program, there should be a "Scouter" recognition award. This would be awarded to Committee members or MB Counselors just as the "Cub Scouter" award is available. The usual requirements for training,tenure, & results would apply. As our troops CC, I am getting ready to submit the "BS Leader" application for 3 leaders in our unit. One of which has been advancement chair & MB counselor for several years. I think there should be some distinction made between the ASMs and other scouters.

CE

CE,

As for the cub program going overboard, I disagree. There are 3 different Den Leader Knots but each level is truly a different task. Running a Tiger Cub den is a whole lot different than running a Webelos Den. I agree that Boy Scouts should seperate the leaders positions and "knot" "tie" them all into one award.

CMF