I have a very good friend Biddle.Biddle and I have served on a few Wood Badge courses as staff members. He is a really great guy who loves to tell jokes and stories. When we are together my sides hurt from laughing so hard.

Biddle serves in a very tiny council and is very much the "Outdoor man" He loves the outdoors and loves Scouting outdoors. Over the years he has told me some really funny tales about a Scout called Pletch. Pletch is a nickname for Pletcher. I have no idea how true any of these tales are. There are just too many of them.

Many of us have met a kid like Pletch. The Lad that if something is going to happen to someone it is going to happen to him.

One Summer Camp, sad to say OJ was "That Kid"

He got hit in the eye with a Frisbee,on the way to the first aid station he twisted his ankle in a hole, walked into a tree branch (The other eye) was treated left the first aid station and got stung on the lip by a bee.

Back home I had little John Ofen. If something was going to happen it was going to happen to him. One really wet rainy summer camp his patrol leader told him to put water on the fire.

The patrol leader was going to make a pot of tea.

John put water on the fire and put the fire out. That same camp he sprained his ankle, while skimming stones on the lake he got hit on the head by a stone and needed stitches.

The worst one was the Windjammer Competition. This was the Greater London Central big competition. In our District you had to come in the first, second or third in the District Camp-craft competition to be able to enter. We took all three and sent three teams.

The competition changed from year to year. This year it was a knowledge of London scavenger hunt. Scouts were all over London. Word gets back that one of my Scouts has been hit by a car. Of course it's John. He has a broken leg. The other patrols keep going and win the competition. The prize is that we have custody of the biggest plaque you have ever seen. It has a big windjammer along with smaller plaques engraved with the names of past winners. A couple of days pass and the winning patrol go to visit John they take the plaque and decide to leave it with him so he can show it to all his visitors. They balance this giant plaque above his bed. It falls - knocks him out and he needs more stitches in his head.

Please share your favorite tales about "That Kid"

Eamonn

I AM THAT KID, except I'm the Committee Chair for your troop.

When we went to Northern Tier, I fell into a ditch the night we arrived in Minniapolis, and twisted and ankle. The next day, I skinned a knee on our way to Emmerson Camp, the following day bruised knuckles at base camp.

Then the ultimate, on our very first portage, we got across Moose Lake (this is the lake base camp is on, for those of you that haven't been there), I was thinking cool we're finally here, I survived the trip, etc. The scout in the front of the canoe didn't know what to do, hesitated, and then pulled the back of the canoe around to let me out first. I told him that'd be fine, so I felt with my paddle for rocks. Find some slid out of the back of the canoe. Well, where I felt and where I landed were not the same place, and rather than being in water about knee high I was in mud up to my knee, and water above my waist. The boys in the canoe became concerned and tried to get it closer to me (did I mention it is in a good spot before they put it on my back). As they moved it closer it came from my side, and pushed me over. Problem is, my foot was stuck in the mud, so knee pops, and tears. (I still hurt from this episode.) Plus they are now on me, our 300 lbs of supplies are on me, and I'm UNDER WATER!!

My foot is still stuck in the mud

Well I finally get them off of me come up for air, and survey the damage. Like a dummy I decide I can go somemore, and learn after two more portages, that I'm not OK, I'm going to slow the group down. They insist I stay with them, and we have a trip. I'm glad I went because it was pretty. Any body else have good stories?