BOR problem (update from prior posts)

Thanks for the post; I agree. You said "Losing an appeal will not win them any points with the council leadership, nor with your chartered organization." I agree with that too, and I'm afraid I'll have to add that losing the appeal won't win my son or me any points with the SM or CC.

I have not sent copies of the appeal or supporting material to the COR; should I?

GKM

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, your SM and his supporters will be upset. You had no points with them before your appeal either.

I'd definitely call the COR to let him know how things are progressing, and tell him you're sending him a copy of the appeal.

Some of these leaders will never get it. In my son's Troop, the leaders MUST consider outside activities demonstrating leadership ability for an eagle palm because the Council Advancement Committee has instructed them that they now HAVE TO. The whole event could have been handled differently- for the benefit of the Scout instead of the egos of the SM, CC and COR. So... this troop has had to change the way it is doing things. It does not affect my son anymore because he is no longer involved there. (He could have gotten all of his palms in the Venture Crew in the first place). He earned them in the Troop and was awarded them there because he went through the process.

It is the Scout's "right" to appeal if he feels he has been denied recognition or advancement when deserved. That's why the system is in place.

GKM,

Thanks for sharing your letter. I want to note your defensive posturing in some of your statements. But, I also want to encourage you to not take that route because you don't need it to make your point. If the committee has written their responses as you stated, then they have clearly breached the advancement policy. The Committee's views demonstrate they have not read or understood what is written or what their duty is.

Hold the line and don't waiver. Save your energy for the ceremony.

FB