boys not getting along problems

I have a boy in my troop who likes a band called slipknot, he is accsuly obsesed with them, he likes to talk about them at meatings alot and mt scout master has band him from talking about the band because he and his son dose not like them. The fact is they do not like the kid on general, every chance they get to yell at this kid they will. The scout masters son has ocd (obsesive conpulsive disorder) and every little thing this boy dose pisses him off. in fact last meeting he got up and kicked the boy. and nothing was said to him because when one of the aduls went to say something the scoutmaster stoped him and said know he has a problem. this is a ongoing problem with the scoutmasters son and this boy what should i do

Let me see if I have this right.

The Scoutmaster has a son who has obsessive compulsive disorder.

The result of which is that he goes around kicking people.

There is a Lad who likes a band called Slipknot.This Lad really likes this band a lot. However the Scoutmaster and this son who goes around kicking people do not rate this band.

When other people object or try to prevent the Scoutmasters son from kicking other people or try to prevent it the Scoutmaster objects.

How am I doing?

I don't care if the Scoutmaster likes it or not allowing anyone to hit or hurt anyone is not allowed. I would first have a chat with the SM. If need be armed with a copy of the G2SS. If I was unable to get him to see the error of his ways, I would have a chat with the Troop Committee Chair.

I would also talk to the music loving Scout telling him that there is a time and a place for everything. Ask him what Scout Laws does he think that he might not be keeping when he is being disruptive? Then ask him what action he thinks is needed to correct the situation.

I don't care what tag we put on people. No one has the right to go around kicking people. If the Scout and his Dad are unable to see this they are in the wrong organization.

Eamonn.

the boy with ocd is not alwase violen just when he gets mad, but since the scoutmaster and his son dont like the kid the son with ocd alwase finds something to disagre with and since he is ocd he is "never wrong" in his mind so he will try to start and the scout master alwase blames it on this kid who did not do anything. It is not alwase over music it is just anything this boy says even if it is scouting stuff if the scoutmasters son dissagres he will start to argue.

As ASM you are well within your rights to talk to the Scoutmaster about both his and his son's behaviour. You might also talk to your Committee Chair and your Unit Commissioner.

It is NOT ok to single out a child because of your personal feelings about him. The boy with OCD should also be reigned in. OCD does not usually make a child agressive and cause him to kick people. It also does not usually make the child feel like he is "never wrong".

People with OCD have very strong worries about certain things. These worries are called obsessions. In order to combat these obsessive worries, the person with OCD develops rituals which are repeated over, and over, and over, and over again. These rituals are called compulsions. For instance a person might have an obsessive worry about catching germs. The compulsive ritual they use to help themselves feel better might be hand washing, lots and lots and lots of hand washing.

This boy might have OCD, but his main problem seems to be bad behaviour which is encouraged by his father.

If you have knowledge of Slipknot, then you know that discussing it at a Scout meeting is probably inappropriate. It's not just any band, like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.

Ah yes, the innocent lyrics of the Beatles, immortalized in such classics as Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds... (LSD?)

Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

With tangerine trees and marmalade skies

Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.

Cellophane flowers of yellow and green,

Towering over your head.

Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes,

And shes gone.

Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain

Where rocking horse people eat marshmellow pies,

Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers,

That grow so incredibly high.

Newspaper taxis appear on the shore,

Waiting to take you away.

Climb in the back with your head in the clouds,

And youre gone.

Lucy in the sky with diamonds,

Picture yourself on a train in a station,

With plasticine porters with looking glass ties,

Suddenly someone is there at the turnstyle,

The girl with the kaleidoscope eyes.

Sounds like an ordinary day along the Thames, eh Eamonn?

Or the Rolling Stones equally innocent

"Things are different today,

I hear ev'ry mother say

Mother needs something today to calm her down

And though she's not really ill

There's a little yellow pill

She goes running for the shelter of her mother's little helper

And it helps her on her way, gets her through her busy day..."

Its not the bands that screw kids up, or the lyrics, its parents who dont care and dont listen to the music and never ask the kids why this appeals to them. Maybe he just likes metal, maybe he identifies with the lyrics, either way I do not endorse Boy Scout troops censuring music.

OGE,

Sir Paul McCartney has said many times that Lucy has to do with a child's painting. Still we could spend hours discussing un-Scout like song lyrics and cover everyone from John Denver, Peter, Paul and Mary to the Sex Pistols.

As a Green Meanie, who has deleted some of the stuff from my sons hard drive due to it being just too much for my point of view. I suppose I qualify as a hypocrite. I have not as yet heard or listened to anything by Slipknot. So I don't know if they would pass the Dad / Delete test or not.

I don't care if a Scout is reading the Boy Scout Handbook, if there is something else that he is supposed to be doing. He is not behaving in a Scout like manner.

Still I don't see the music lover as the big problem. The big problem is the Scoutmaster.

Eamonn.

I have a Woodbadge songbook that has those popular Scout tunes Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, Only the Good Die Young and more! Eamonn is correct. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds isn't about LSD and the Scoutmaster not the music is the problem!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ok, Eamonn, maybe Lucy is a painting, but the rest of the song doesnt sound like the happenings in any nursery I have been in. I agree the issue isnt the music, its the scoutmaster.

BTW, YoungSpikedEagle is a fan of Slipknot as well, and from what I can detrmine from you, their lyrics would most likely NOT pass your Dad/delete test. They stopped me in my tracks a bit as well. We talked about the lyrics and he assured me it was the music he liked, not the lyrics. He is currently researching Christian Rock Music to find a band that SOUNDS like SLipknot, but has much more dad friendly lyrics.

I guess when ever music is mentioned I react strongly, it comes from having a father who loved both kinds of music, Country and Western and never could accept Rock and Roll. It was all just a menagerie of weirdo freaky hippie mumbo jumbo to him