Our Image. Or Can We Ever Be Cool ?

We have two 15 yr olds in our troop who take great pains never to be seen in their uniform outside of BSA activities. They are so worried about their "image" they hide the fact that they are scouts to their peers as much as they can. I feel sorry for them. I posted this earlier but I'll repeat thefollowing responses I received from the 2nd and 3rd year boys in our troop: Why do you think boys join the Boy Scouts?

1. To have fun and learn about cool things and camping.

2. I think that boys join to go camping.

3. To have fun!

4. To have fun.

5. To have fun and learn stuff.

6. To have fun with their friends and have good life experiences.

7. To get Eagle.

8. Blank.

9. To have fun.

10. To have fun.

11. To have fun.

12. Because its fun.

Eamonn, your post made me content. From that one scout looking on into that sea of scouts, and saying "cool", means we are doing something right. It gave me a mental picture, I could see the endless amount of tan shirts, and a scout with a smile.

It is a dufficult question why boys join Boy Scouts. All I can remember from being a cub, was I thought the uniform looked cool, and my mom signed me up. Many boys join before they can really understand what it is all about...it is just another after-school activity.

The bulk of Boy Scouts come from Cub Scout, so the reasons they joined by the time they are in the Boy Scouts are either clouded or no even there. They are just there in...

We should focus on what makes them STAY in the Boy Scouts. Sometimes, it is parents who make them stay involved. I have seen this all too many times.

Acco, I also feel bad for those boys who are afraid to admit they are in the Boy Scouts. What do they really feel about being a Boy Scout if they are afraid to show it... It puzzles me. Are they Boy Scouts because their parents strongly advise that they stay in Boy Scouts? Boys should be Boy Scouts only when they want to be, only if they have fun and enjoy their Troop. If this was the case though, I feel our numbers would hurt... I have known as most of you have also probably noticed, that many boys are scouts because it is just another thing they have to be apart of because of mom and dad. They treat it as school, or work. IMO from my experience, that's what I have noticed.

Retention is the key. We need to appeal stronger to tadays youth. We do not need to be cool, because what is cool? and who really decides what cool is?

Eamonn posts the question-"How can we make Scouting more attractive?" lets try to tackle this one...

VentureScoutNY: I was just thinking the same as you...

Eamonn posts the question-"How can we make Scouting more attractive?" lets try to tackle this one...

Maybe it's time we can each ask the units we serve what appeals to them in Scouts? And what do they think would appeal to the boys they have not yet invited. What is it that we can help them with in this respect? To do this, we must first understand what Scouting looks like to the youth it serves. We must also find out what it looks like to their friends that they hide their uniforms from. I'm going to do a poll like Acco's and also using these questions with the troop next week (they camp this weekend). Who's game to ask around to see what the perception is and how we can help promote the positives and/or help the youth we serve to get out the message that these appealing things ARE taking place already? We may have varied responses, but still, it may just help us to help retain, recruit, and to help our youth recruit more too.

p.s. I know there are studies done, and I have several of them here, so this is certainly not in place of the BSA studies, which are well done and helpful. Instead, we share a concern right now, and maybe we can ask our youth to help us to help them in this respect.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

Eamonn, dont worry about OJ.:)

Sounds cool to me. Got his cell phone (I wish), his laptop, is in Boy Scouts, and likes to camp. Only thing missing for an exact twin of me is athletics which might be there (I dont know)

I've thought about taking my laptop with me to camp this summer. I doubt I will because its battery only lasts about an hour and I dont know of any outlets where I would be able to charge it.

I do take my digital camera most places now. That, and my knife;)

Hops Dear Fellow,

I don't think that he is a good as you. Rumor is that you are one heck of a good baseball player.

OJ, is on the track team and is captain of the Soccer team. Sad to say he has never played Rugby or cricket.

I would hope that anyone looking in on the forum would see that we have in Scouting Lads like you and OJ. While you are both good active Scouts, you both find time for other activities and do live in the 21st Century.

Could it be that Lads like you are the image that we need to put center stage?

Eamonn

I'm only mildly worried about the coolness of Scouting. I remember when I was in high school in the early to mid 70's that some of my buddies in Scouts tried to hide it back then too. My son kept trying to recruit one of his best buddies. First excuse was he didn't want to wear the uniform. Second excuse was that he didn't want to deal with ALL those "rules". Third excuse was he didn't like it being a full year program without a break. He finally talked him into going to a meeting just to see what it was like. He went home ready to sign up. He started waffling as the week progressed. He agreed to go to a second meeting. He signed up that night. He has been on the two campouts since then and hasn't missed a meeting. He also always has his uniform on. Getting them there is half the battle. The program sells itself. It's fun. I keep toying with the idea of having a quarterly or twice a year lock-in where the admission is to bring a non-scouting friend. You can start the event outdoors and work on a pioneering project with spars and lashings. Then move indoors and let them watch movies, play video games, eat, etc. I think a troop that puts the effort into creatively recruiting will have a problem keeping up with registration. Fun is the ultimate cool and every boy likes to have fun.