I'd like some advice on how to teach the importance of fire safety and how to keep kids from experimenting with fire and chemicals. Please share ways that you have helped youth to understand the responsibility that goes along with the fun of building a fire. Thank you.

We engage our fire chief for a safe-but-exciting demonstration. He sets up demos for two fuel types (paper/wood, petroleum/liquid) which show the speed and damage they can do. Then he shows the best methods and extinguisher types to stop them. Takes a bit of planning and some materials but even the adults oooh and aaaah.

Frankly, the best way I know is to take the novelty and mystery out of it. Make sure they're all experienced on safe setup of propane and liquid stoves, and have plenty of repetitive experience at building and lighting fires at campouts. Allow them to use matches and lighters, and teach them the ways to get fires going without having to resort to shortcuts like pouring gas or something on wet wood -- homemade starters, candle stubs, fuzz sticks, etc.

To me, it's in the same category as knife safety. If they never carry, handle, or use one, they'll likely be dangerous to all around them.

KS

Check with your local FD to see if they offer a fire-safety program that is or can be tailored to fire-safety as related to Boy Scouts. Another source is a Dept. of Natural Resources (or whatever it's called in your locale) ranger. Speaking from my fire/emergency services background, ask for details about the program before you accept. Many have a canned program that will not relate well to boys in Scouts - safe and proper campfire setup, safe fire starting, etc. I would steer away from a program that emphasizes the "fear factor" to extremes or includes live demos of things like lighting hair spray, bug spray, etc. Being a Scouter I have the advantage of knowing what is applicable. My "class" includes proper use of matches & lighters, proper site preparation, how to build a fire, how to extinguish a fire, proper use of propane stoves, a demo on the dangers of liquid and gaseous fuels, safety precautions, emergency procedures, and hands-on practicals for each youth in the class.

KoreaScouter is right on the mark. This should start with the advancement requirements and FireManChit (spelling?). The key is for them to learn that fire is a tool; and tools require knowledge of proper use, knowledge of safety precautions, practice in use, and what to do if something goes wrong.

I'm in favor to remove the noevety and mystery from fire. I'm a member of a fire dept. for 27yrs. Most deptartments have some type of fire trainning/demos that offer basic use of exstinguishers -- we have a safety camp in july that the fire and police depts.put on for two days that cover these isuses.-- I use actual trainning photos of burns rec'd by people that mishandled fire.( I got their attention now) Our fire dept. has the county burn unit come to talk with us that cover treatment and long term care-- it works -- My first aid class we cover not only the basic burn info./treatment but we get into the responsibilties of (1)working with things they use at camp or at home and (2) what happens to their parants or home after accidental fire occures------ RM

Find a local Fire Safety merit badge counselor or convince one of the troop leaders to sign up for that. Then using those requirements as a starting point set up a troop visit to the local FD letting the staff there know what you intend to accomplish. The boys learn about fire and they can earn a badge too.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

Thank you all. These are excellent ideas that I'm sharing with others locally, and we will look into contacting our fire departments and maybe the burn unit. The reason that I ask this question is that it has become clear that some are not getting the message that fire is dangerous as well as a truly good thing.

I have little to add to these great answers except to say I agree with taking the mystery out of fire. It may be more than you want to undertake, but if there is a fire training center in your area, you might want to check it out. We have a regional fire fighters training center located a couple hours away. Our troop has gone there as a campout, and worked on fire safety merit badge with one of the trainers as the conselor (registered, of course). The boys got to see some actual training of professional firefighters. We are going back because it was one of the most popular outings.